Under general supervision of the Assistant Bank Manager this position provides a high level of customer service, processes moderate to complex bank transactions, and provides guidance to other tellers in handling customer transactions. In addition to performing all teller functions, this position will assist with the daily activities of the teller line and work closely with the Assistant Bank Manager to audit out-of-balance teller drawers, solve issues or inefficiencies on the teller line, and resolve customer concerns or complaints. This position will assume responsibility of the teller line operations in the absence of the Assistant Bank Manager. This position will also be responsible for daily balancing of the vault, ATM and coin machine as well as the buying and selling of currency and coin. This position is also responsible for providing back up for Customer Service duties .
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Primary Teller Duties:
- Processes customer transactions according to customer requests to ensure proper crediting or debiting of customer accounts, including all transactions received through mail, night drop or drop off’s. Transactions include cashing checks with assigned limits, processing savings and checking deposits and withdrawals, verifying signatures, processing loose coin transactions and accepting loan, credit card, utility and other payments.
- Issues cashier and traveler checks.
- Reconciles total deposits to ensure check is equal to deposit ticket and funds are available.
- Processes cash advances
- Maintains proper currency/coin level in drawer, keeps cash secure and organized, and maintains a high level of safety for the Bank.
- Identifies potential problems such as counterfeit currency, check forgeries, check kiting and robberies and seeks assistance and direction from Assistant Bank Manager.
- Thoroughly reviews all transactions and prepares related paperwork for the proof/processing department.
- Promotes bank products and services by recognizing and understanding customer needs and by gathering information about the customer’s businesses and activities.
- Provides extraordinary customer service by conducting business in a professional, friendly manner and by building long-term customer relationships.
- Balances cash drawer by verifying that all currency/coin taken in and given out is equal to the amounts entered on the teller terminal.
- Answers customer calls in a timely manner and, if necessary, directs calls to appropriate individual for specialized services.
- Understands and adheres to all Anchor Bank standard operating policies and procedures and Federal and State banking regulations.
- Attends all required compliance, training and staff/bank meetings.
- Actively participates in the Teller Incentive Program.
- Assumes responsible of the teller line duties and operations in the absence of the Assistant Bank Manager.
- Assists Assistant Bank Manager in training new tellers and other teller training.
- Handles special or unusual customer transactions and resolves more difficult customer inquiries.
- Assists other tellers (Teller I & II) in locating cash discrepancies and provides other technical guidance when processing transactions.
- Assists other tellers (Teller I & II) with difficult customer requests or situation as well as helping them with processing transactions.
Education and Experience
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- At least three years of teller experience is required.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills over the phone and in person.
- Ability to respond to complex customer inquires and complaints from clients, vendors, regulatory agencies or members of the business community.
Other Skills and Abilities
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commission and percentages.
- Excellent knowledge of federal banking regulations related to teller operations and extensive experience in all types of bank transactions.
- Knowledge of vault balancing, ATM’s and fraud and forgery schemes is preferred.
- Ability to make good decisions in a timely and confident manner and to seek assistance when necessary.
- Excellent people and organizational skills.
- Promotes and maintains a high standard of quality at work.
- Reliable and behaves in an ethical and honest manner when dealing with co-workers, managers and customers.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of all bank records and customer transactions.