Crown Agents USA, Inc. (CA-USA) is seeking a Senior Trade Advisor for the Business Development department in our Washington, DC office.
Crown Agents is an international development company with offices in more than 30 countries, employing over 600 personnel worldwide. Crown Agents provides direct assistance, management consulting, and human and institutional development for public and private sector clients, particularly in customs and trade facilitation, public financial management, procurement, logistics, and health systems strengthening. Crown Agents currently operates in more than 85 countries on projects with an annual value of more than $181 million.
Crown Agents USA (CA-USA), the U.S. incorporated subsidiary of Crown Agents, provides direct technical assistance, capacity development, and procurement services to stimulate economic growth, establish good governance, and improve health outcomes across the developing world. Since its incorporation in the United States in 1998, CA-USA has provided technical assistance services and support to U.S. Government agencies and international organizations such as the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC), the U.S. Trade and Development Agency (USTDA), and the Gates Foundation.
Role & Responsibilities
The Senior Trade Advisor reports to CA-USA's Director of Business Development and is responsible for winning new business in line with Crown Agent's long-term corporate strategy. The Senior Trade Advisor will assume ownership of the business development process, from opportunity identification to bid management to bid submission, keeping the Director of Business Development closely apprised throughout the bid process. As a vital member of the business development team, this role requires fostering strong working relationships with technical experts, project managers, potential partners, and business development staff located at Crown Agents USA and also at Crown Agents' international offices. In addition to carrying out bid management responsibilities, the Senior Trade Advisor will serve other Crown Agent business groups and overseas offices in providing technical assistance and inputs. The Senior Trade Advisor provides technical support to the CA-USA business development team in conjunction with Customs & Trade Facilitation counterparts located in Sutton, UK. The Senior Advisor will provide expert guidance and best practice knowledge in order to achieve successful fulfillment of trade advisory and business development deliverables. The Senior Trade Advisor will lead and initiate successful strategic planning, technical writing, proposal development activities, and project management in all areas associated with economic growth and trade, including linkages with Food Security. The Senior Trade Advisor works in a timely and profitable manner in compliance with client requirements and CA-USA policy.
Trade Advisory & Technical Delivery
- Identify and pursue new business opportunities with key clients in the Trade area;
- Manage, when necessary, trade-related bids and proposals to CA-USA's main client, USAID, and other CA group clients;
- Write trade related proposal sections, including executive summaries, past performance qualification summaries and personnel, as necessary;
- Work with client organizations, especially USAID and multilateral donors, to understand and identify emerging trends and craft innovative development responses;
- Support the successful preparation and completion of proposals by proactively engaging with members of other CA offices and departments, including Contracts, Recruiting and Programs;
- Participate in the capture planning process; contribute to the development of bidding strategies;
- Serve as a "knowledge management" champion, drawing best practices from projects and channeling relevant best practices and win themes to on-going and future proposal development;
- Participate in strategic and pertinent intelligence gathering overseas and in Washington with the aim of generating new, relevant bidding opportunities;
- Participate in multi-year, strategic business development planning meetings, and conferences;
- Leverage expertise in design of technical and cost proposals by assisting field teams in preparing work plans and reports in compliance with technical and cost approach;
- Contribute substantively to the development of innovative technical approaches and in the writing of technical proposals;
- As required, review and rewrite proposal inputs from sub-contractors and contributing colleagues from overseas offices to ensure single voice consistency;
- As directed, serve as lead technical writer, facilitating the technical writing process for winning proposals with a special focus on food security including access to markets, private sector development, policy, and trade facilitation;
- As assigned, manage proposal development teams by defining team roles including writing assignments, recruiting, proposal coordination, communication with prime/subcontractor;
- Analyze RFPs, RFAs, IQCs, etc., and assist in the development of win themes and technical approaches.
- Provide technical trade inputs to internal and external projects, marketing and promotion, planning activities and negotiations;
- Maintain and build technical trade knowledge and skills through professional development, training and industry awareness.
Any other duties as appropriate to the position, as requested.
- Prepare/review project-related financial documentation;
- Support monitoring of project deliverables against the project terms of reference, coordinate and ensure distribution of project deliverables/reports;
- Supervision of mobilization and project establishment;
- Quality assurance and compliance with terms of reference;
- Performance management and guidance of team members on technical, managerial aspects of technical delivery, project management and opportunity management;
- Management of project within contracted time and budget constraints;
- Management of project issues and risks;
- Manage select client relationships in Washington, DC and overseas;
- Design and maintain project tracking systems to monitor project spending against contract budget and funds obligated and provide timely reports for project planning and decision-making;
- Contract management in line with business practice;
- As directed, support project start-up activities in coordination with technical and operational departments resulting from winning proposals in which a substantial technical role was played.
- Bachelor's Degree in international development, international relations, international business or a relevant field required; Master's Degree preferred.
- Fluency in English is required; bilingual or multilingual language capabilities preferred.
- Minimum eight or more years of progressive technical trade, customs, and business development related experience including demonstrated work history as a senior level employee and/or advisor within a national-level project.
- Demonstrated work history in technical writing and business development for USAID and other bi-lateral or multi-lateral donor solicitations.
- Ability to travel internationally up to 30% for up to several weeks duration at a time.
- Substantive project management, support or backstopping experience for bilateral or multilateral, donor-funded projects in economic growth and trade/food security.
- Monitoring & evaluation experience a plus.
- In depth experience collaborating with overseas contacts to provide senior bid management and technical support; demonstrated ability to build relationships with international partners, key stakeholders, and internal and external staff.
- Background in economic growth and trade and food security programs. Experience in enterprise (private sector) growth and competitiveness, access to markets, private sector development, trade policy, and/or trade facilitation a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task in a rapidly changing environment.
- Demonstrated editing, writing and presentation skills.
- Experience with multilateral or bilateral donor programs, knowledge of USAID preferred.
- A strong reputation for delivering measurable results and significant emphasis on developing good collaborative working relationships with overseas counterparts, other implementing partners and international organizations or donors.
- Must demonstrate personal attributes such as loyalty and integrity in addition to being resourceful and flexible, which is inherent in this position.
To apply to this position, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org . Include your name, along with the title of the position you are applying for, in the subject line. Visit our website at www.crownagentsusa.com for more information about our company. No phone calls, faxes or walk-ins please. Crown Agents USA, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V.
Candidate must be able to demonstrate legal right to work in the United States.
Crown Agents USA will provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with qualified disabilities in accordance with the ADA. If you require a reasonable accommodation for our application process, please contact our Recruiting department at ADArequests@crownagents.com . Requests will be kept confidential and shared strictly on a need-to-know basis only.
Crown Agents - 10 months ago