Who are we?
Hiscox, a FTSE 250 company domiciled in Bermuda since 2006, is a leading specialist insurer with a diverse portfolio of personal and commercial risks. With 100 years of underwriting heritage, we now have more than 1,300 staff, with offices in 11 countries. In 2011, the Group controlled a gross premium income of £1,449.2 million. The year was dominated by natural catastrophes, such as earthquakes, tornadoes, floods and hurricanes making it one of the most expenses years on record for the insurance industry. The fact that we made a small profit was a good demonstration of the strength of the Hiscox Group.
As a market leader in our chosen areas of business, we cover risks that range from marine, terrorism, aerospace, technology, media and professional indemnity through to high value personal insurance, such as homes and contents, fine art and kidnap and ransom.
We are not a mass producer of insurance policies but focus on key areas of expertise and strength. We specialise in protecting people with unusual and often complicated insurance needs.
There are three main underwriting parts of the Group. Hiscox London Market, Hiscox UK and Europe, and Hiscox International:
Our business philosophy
- Hiscox London Market underwrites mainly internationally traded business in the London Market – generally large or complex business which needs to be shared with other insurers or needs the international licences of Lloyd’s
- Hiscox International includes operations in Bermuda and Guernsey and Hiscox USA offering a range of specialist insurance and reinsurance
- Hiscox UK and Hiscox Europe offers a range of specialist insurance for professionals and business customers, as well as high net worth individuals.
The best people
Any business is only as good as the people it employs. We aim to employ the best people to produce the best insurance solutions and deliver the best service possible.
The best clients
Hiscox has three vital questions for every risk - "Who is the insured? Who is the insured? Who is the insured?". Who we insure is crucially more important than what we insure. Whatever the business, be it a global oil company or a one man professional practice, we are interested in the management and how the business is run. Our belief is that the good insured always pays too much, and the bad insured too little. By seeking out the good insureds and avoiding the bad, we are able to offer wide cover at reasonable premiums.
All of our products have been designed with our customers’ specific needs in mind. Creative use of technology has also improved distribution and enabled us to respond even more quickly and effectively to our customers. Unlike many of our competitors, Hiscox really is an organisation that thrives on change.
This is a fantastic opportunity to join Hiscox during a time of focused growth where you will have the remit to make a real difference.
Hiscox offers an environment where you are encouraged to grow with the team and this is an exciting time to be joining this fast growing organisation. There will be plenty of opportunity for on the job career development within a supportive environment.
- Underwrite, price and negotiate accounts consistent with the quality of the risk and according to the company’s strategy and guidelines
- Responsibilities include production for Construction & Completed Civil Works for the Southeast region
- Engage in marketing efforts and new business development
- Gather information on competitive trends, product line trends, producer trends, as well as the demographic distribution trends
- Handle new and renewal business for brokers in the Southeast region
- Work with operations, claims and marketing to build products and contribute to the financial performance of the region and products
- Maintain excellent service standards
- Develop relationships and maintain existing relationships with regional broker and client base
- Monitor product results and develop ideas to increase results
- B.A./B.S degree in Engineering or related degree
- 5 to 7 years technical underwriting experience – Construction and Completed Civil Works
- Field engineering experience a plus
- Possess strong analytical skills
- Sales focus or ability required
- Knowledge of the Southeast and South regional broker and wholesale market
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with presentations and negotiations
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to work in a collaborative environment
- Ability to effectively interact with all levels of internal and external customers
- Strong skills in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook) and Internet applications
- Some travel required
- Adaptable to electronic file systems environment
Hiscox Ltd - 11 months ago
2. Hiscox plc is a specialist insurance group listed on the London StockExchange where it has a market capitalisation of circa £450 mi...