The City of Glendale is accepting applications to join our award-winning Urban Design Studio team at the Senior Urban Designer position. Under the direction of the Principal Urban Designer, this position performs planning duties with a focus on urban design and architectural issues for the Community Development Department. The Senior Urban Designer will develop and contribute to City projects, plans, policies and practices with a comprehensive urban design perspective as well as from an area or site specific perspective, such as:
- Review private development proposals ranging from mixed-use downtown projects, corporate offices, commercial and multifamily projects, single family houses, hillside homes, and historic landmarks for compliance with the Downtown Specific Plan, adopted community plans and design guidelines.
- Serve as staff liaison to the City’s Design Review Boards, Historic Preservation Commission, and/or Planning Commission.
- Provide architectural expertise to consultant and staff teams on significant City-sponsored projects, including the preparation and review of RFQs/RFPs.
- Write and illustrate design guidelines, focused area plans and community plans.
- Participate in historic preservation programs including design review, historic district applications, historic designations and Mills Act applications.
- Represent the Department at public outreach events by leading and/or facilitating advisory committees, discussion groups, walking tours, as well as preparing agendas and required visual materials for planning workshops and charrettes.
- Participate on or lead multi-disciplinary and departmental teams on various planning or development policies, area plans, programs and/or specific projects.
The ideal candidate possesses strong architectural and urban design skills with an ability to translate design ideas into strategic policies. S/he will be an excellent communicator, sympathetic critic and team player. An architecture license and history of architectural practice is highly desired.
Bachelor's Degree in city or urban planning, architecture, sustainability/environmental studies, landscape architecture, geography, economics, public administration or a closely related field is required. A degree in architecture, landscape architecture, urban design, or historic preservation is desirable.
A minimum of six years of professional experience in a public planning agency or a private firm with direct experience in urban design, architectural review, or historic preservation issues is required. Excellent writing and broad communication skills are required. Experience working with interdisciplinary teams is required. The candidate must have strong graphic and architectural review skills and be proficient in producing policy documents with effective graphics, drawings, photographs or other visual means as necessary. The candidate should be proficient with free-hand drawing, desktop publishing, basic 3D computer modeling, and Powerpoint.
Glendale Urban Design Studio
A unit within the City of Glendale Community Development Department, the Urban Design Studio is responsible for developing and enforcing the City’s design policies, guidelines and historic preservation programs, in addition to providing design advice to applicants, City Departments, Boards and Commissions. The Studio promotes high quality, excellent architecture, urban design and well-designed public environments that reflect community values, heritage and progressive design practices.
The Public Outreach wing of the Design Studio operates “hands-on” programs in partnership with local schools, businesses and community volunteers to promote civic responsibility and environmental stewardship in a modern urban environment. Outreach efforts include community clean up days, graffiti removal projects, in-school education contests and recycling competitions, and several neighborhood and property recognition programs.
For its work, the Studio and Outreach team have received awards from the American Institute of Architects, the American Planning Association, Keep America Beautiful, the League of California Cities, LA Conservancy, and twice received the prestigious Compass Blueprint Award from the Southern California Association of Governments.
Current planning efforts in the Design Studio include:
The City of Glendale
- South Glendale Community Plan and Design Guidelines
- Small Lot Subdivision Ordinance and Design Guidelines
- Tropico Station Transit Oriented District Planning Study
- Space 134 Freeway Cap Study
- Mid-City Parks Master Plan
- Central Park Master Plan
- Community Garden Programs
- Parklet Policy and Guidelines
- Greenways and Green Street Implementation projects
Glendale is the fourth largest city in Los Angeles County and is surrounded by Southern California’s leading commercial districts including Los Angeles, Pasadena, Hollywood, and Universal City. Incorporated in 1906, the City of Glendale spans approximately 30 square miles with a current population of approximately 191,719.
Glendale is a full-service city offering first class amenities with its own police and fire departments, a wholly owned municipal utility company offering water and power, a complete public works department to maintain infrastructure, libraries to provide programs for lifelong learning, and a variety of parks for quiet enjoyment, organized sports or open space adventure.
In addition to its reputation for safety, Glendale is a vibrant commercial and cultural center, with a blend of large and small businesses, multi-national corporations, and special event venues such as the legendary Alex Theatre. Glendale’s five small but unique neighborhood shopping districts offer convenience to bordering neighborhoods, while the Glendale Galleria and The Americana at Brand offer exciting shopping and entertainment options. Even with its bustling business culture, the City has retained its small-town appeal with quiet tree-lined neighborhoods, mountain ridges, wilderness reserves, and historical tracts of Spanish colonial homes.
Applications must be submitted online at http://agency.governmentjobs.com/glendaleca/default.cfm
Archinect.com - 19 months ago