Location: Palo Alto, CA
Job Function: IT and Software Development
Job Code: 1218
# of openings: 1
At Green Dot, our systems don’t deliver Tweets, Yelps, cute little video snippets, or blog posts. Our systems transact upon and allow people to use real currency. The real dollars that drive households, fund educations, pay for emergencies and enable the fulfillment of dreams.
As such, these are the Big Leagues and in the Big Leagues there are Rules, Governance and a Framework that must be observed. We chose to see these not as confines, but as parameters that allow us to guide and target our agility and innovation.
Think you have what it takes to innovate within this framework? Think you can work alongside the Best & Brightest in the industry as we move into and beyond the Cloud, Mobile and Big Data? Then come and join us at Green Dot. Change the world for real.
GoBank is revolutionizing personal banking. We’re building the best modern, web & mobile bank in the world, and we need you to help us make it beautiful, fast, and clean. Whether because of speedy, reliable functionality, modern design sensibilities, or continued surprise and delight, we want GoBank users to have a smile on their face every time they come to the site. You’re the person who will make that happen.
Here are some of the things we’d like you to be familiar with:
And here are a few of the things we’ll need from you besides your technical expertise:
- Modern Web Frameworks: You understand why these matter, how they help, and what they don’t do. You don't just know what MVC stands for, but you can tell us why it makes sense. You’ve built sites using one or more of Express, Rails, Django, ASP.NET MVC, Grails, or AppEngine and you’ve read through the documentation on some of the others.
- Service Integration: Stitching RESTful services that speak JSON to XML spewing SOAP endpoints with a few custom binary protocols thrown in sounds painful to you and you can explain, in an objective way, why that sort of an architecture might not be a great idea. That’s not what we do (usually) but when we do you can handle it.
- HTML and CSS: Layout and styling must be second nature. While you’ll usually be working from a wireframe or a full visual mockup, not having them won’t cause you to produce an ugly result. You’re a software engineer not a visual designer, but you can tell the difference between good design and bad design. That we target a range of browsers across both mobile and desktop platforms is pretty much a given.
- Backend Coding: You’ve got some familiarity with .Net, or else you’re a fast learner who isn’t religious about platform. When other team members are busy you have no compunctions about digging into, and modifying, the backend code. You can write SQL if you have to, but you’ve got several strategies to avoid it.
- SEO: You don’t have to be in marketing, but you know that how we structure and display our content matters. You’re comfortable bending site architecture to the needs of the marketing team and can work together with them to optimize our site.
Green Dot is an ‘Equal Opportunity Employer’ and is looking for diversity in candidates for employment.
- Minimum of 5 years professional experience working on web application projects. We’ll want to look at your projects out in the wild, and hearing about your experiences building them. Additional non-web related programming experience is a plus but not a requirement.
- Collaborative: You enjoy working closely with designers and product managers to find the best solutions. You like being part of a high performing engineering group. You’re a positive force on the team and you enjoy working with people.
- Initiative: You have a list. Maybe it’s in Evernote, maybe it’s on paper, or maybe it’s just in your head. But you have a list of things you want to improve, whether they’re large pieces of web architecture or niggling design issues that have been bothering you. You look for opportunities to improve things both large and small, and you always have something to do.
- Continuous Learner: You choose what technology to use based on the merits and not based solely on your familiarity. You aren’t afraid to roll up your sleeves and learn something new, and you aren’t too proud to ask for help when you need it.
Green Dot Corporation - 19 months ago
If you've got the green but not the plastic, Green Dot would like to help. The company offers prepaid debit cards through approximately...