We are currently looking for an enthusiastic, highly motivated Senior Web Producer to join the Web Technologies team in our rapidly growing San Francisco office. Local candidates only please.
The Senior Web Producer will lead a group of 5 to 7 Web Producers, and oversee the management of the various PLOS Journals websites, including article production, content updates, and platform upgrades. The ideal candidate will be excited about learning and implementing new technologies, as well as diving into the nitty-gritty details of processes to find problems and improves. He or she will also be someone who thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Lead a team of 5 to 7 Web Producers
- Manage article production workflow from receipt of deliverables through final publication and post-publication corrections.
- Work closely with both internal staff and vendors to refine implementation of direct-to-XML and PDF-generation technologies
- Troubleshoot and correct XML article deliverables; send revisions to PMC as needed.
- Ensure that PLOS XML content conforms to PubMed, PMC, and DTD requirements and best practices
- Maintain relationships with PubMed Central, PubMed/MEDLINE, CrossRef, and other archives & indexers to ensure accuracy, completeness, and timeliness of records.
- Collaborate with PLOS Editorial, Product, and Marketing teams to ensure that all PLOS website content is up-to-date and functioning as desired.
- Review, analyze, and recommend improvements to web production processes and tools to optimize speed and capacity.
- Identify software bugs affecting web production and collaborate with developers to ensure a resolution.
- Track and report on web production efficiency and success metrics
- 3 to 5 years of web production or publishing experience
- College degree or equivalent experience
- Extensive experience with XML, particularly in a highly automated or publishing context. Knowledge of XSL and XSL-FO also a plus
- Experience working in a Linux server environment, including command-line tools and SSH
- Ability to simultaneously manage multiple web properties and workflows
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office and graphics editing software.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; able to write highly technical and polished documentation.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated success in leadership role
The Public Library of Science (PLoS) is a non-profit organization of scientists and physicians committed to making the world's scientific...