This position is for a Sr Wind Resource Engineer for BP Wind Energy. The Senior Wind Resource Engineer will be a member of the Wind Resource Group within BP Wind Energy North America, reporting to the Director of Wind Resources. The Wind Resource function incorporates wind resource assessment services throughout the exploration, measurement, layout design, permitting, financing, construction and operational phases.
Key accountabilitiesThe Engineer will function at the project level in coordination with multiple Project Development teams. In this role, the commercial Project Developers, Operations Team and Asset Managers are internal customers, and day to day priorities will be aligned to meet their needs. The procedures and standards, however, will be set within the Wind Resource Department.
Primary responsibilities include:
Essential EducationMinimum of a bachelors degree in engineering, meteorology or atmospheric science is required. Masters degree preferred
- Specify meteorological data measurement programs
- Perform analysis of the data collected including QA/QC, data cleaning, surrogation and extrapolation.
- Establish long-term hub-height wind speeds at met tower positions
- Use industry software to model wind flow across a project site
- Assist in turbine selection and then create optimized turbine layouts ensuring that the available wind resource is fully utilized and the turbines are placed to attain a long and productive life
- Evaluate gross energy production, calculate and/or estimate annual energy losses to predict net energy production at a wind farm
- Conduct statistical uncertainty analyses
- Create specific deliverables for internal or external use (e.g. RFP response) such as seasonal and diurnal energy generation profiles and hourly energy generation profiles. Written reports summarizing the data and energy analysis will need to be generated often as well.
- Monitor facility operating data/statistics as compared to expected performance and identify positive and negative operational trends
- Visit project sites during initial phases of development through the construction and operations phases of the wind farm. Site visits will include, but are not limited to, specifying met equipment, evaluating terrain, identifying turbine layout constraints, micrositing of turbines or meetings with local stakeholders.
- Liaise with various contractors and consultants, ensuring that the company receives quality information on time and that once received the information is properly stored and catalogued.
Essential experience and job requirements- A minimum of 5 years wind resource experience using wind industry software (OpenWind, Windographer, etc) and mapping programs (ArcGIS, Global Mapper, Google Earth)
Other essential skills and knowledge- SAFETY: Demonstrate personal responsibility for the safety and well-being of everyone around me.
- Experience analyzing operational data from wind farms strongly preferred
Desirable criteria & qualifications- Advanced working knowledge of MS Word and Excel required, Access a plus
- RESPECT: Listen carefully and consider different perspectives
- EXCELLENCE: Pursue systematic management through standardization, clarification and the elimination of defects
- COURAGE: Speak out when I see something is not right and am prepared to say no or stop when necessary
- ONE TEAM: Support those I work with and help to build the effectiveness of my team to achieve the best results
Relocation availableYes - Domestic (In country) only
- Must be experienced in reading terrain maps and in using hand-held compass and GPS.
- Experience with GIS-based software is desired.
- Must be willing to travel up to 25% to remote destinations and spend time outdoors in occasionally harsh conditions. This can include, but is not limited to, walking on uneven terrain, exposure to both hot and cold environments during site visits and traveling by car up to six hours.
Travel requiredYes - up to 25%
Is this a part time position?No
About BPOur business is the exploration, production, refining, trading and distribution of energy. This is what we do, and we do it on a truly global scale. With a workforce of 80,000 employees, BP operates with business activities and customers in more than 80 countries across six continents. Every day, we serve millions of customers around the world. We are continually looking for talented, committed and ambitious people to help us shape the face of energy for the future.
In the US, BP has approximately $52 billion in assets and employs some 23,000 staff. The company's main businesses are exploration and production of oil and gas; refining, manufacturing and marketing of oil products and petrochemicals; transportation and marketing of natural gas. With a growing business in wind power and advanced biofuels, BP Alternative Energy has invested around $7 billion in energy development, $4 billion of that in the US.
BP Wind Energy is a principal owner and operator of wind power facilities with interests in 13 wind farms. BP Wind Energy has a gross generating capacity of 1,955 MW enough electricity to power over 586,000 average American homes. For more information, visit the companys Web site at http://www.bpalternativenergy.com.
At BP Alternative Energy we're investing in new ways of providing energy - from innovative new solar and wind businesses to advanced biofuels and clean energy technologies such as the capture and storage of carbon dioxide from traditional fossil fuels. These will provide customers with clean, secure energy - and they will shape the evolution of the global energy industry in the coming decades. BP Wind Energy is part of BP Alternative Energy and is one of the leading wind developers in the U.S. with a portfolio that includes the opportunity to develop almost 100 projects with a potential total generating capacity of over 15,000 MW. For more information on BP Alternative Energy, please visit our website at www.bpalternativenergy.com
Every day, BP serves around 13 million customers in more than 100 countries across six continents, providing products that improve their quality of life. And, every day more than 100,000 employees combine their energy and innovation to help make this happen. At BP, we believe that our overall success depends on our people, which is why we offer our employees tremendous opportunities for career progression within our business. At BP, you will find a commitment to diversity and inclusion with an emphasis on how we treat our customers and each other. If you are an ambitious and customer-focused team player, a career at BP awaits you!