Join a Systems Administration team within DIRECTV Engineering & Operations as a Senior Windows Systems Admin who should be well versed in supporting and managing a highly available and highly scalable 24/7 server infrastructure. This position will be located at Los Angeles Broadcast Center in Los Angeles, CA. The Senior Windows Systems Admin will provide guidance to a team of system administrators charged with support of a 24x7 data center environment. This position will be an integral part of a very successful team of engineers who are responsible for the development, integration, and management of core systems within DIRECTV
the largest direct-to-home satellite television provider that commands +$17B in annual revenue. If you wish to be a part of a high energy and dynamic team that is constantly involved in new projects that require innovative solutions, then this is the job for you.
- Understand how to maintain and deploy Windows systems, DNS, Active Directory, and other core infrastructure components in an enterprise environment.
- Analyzes inefficiencies in the enterprise from a holistic view
- Diagnose and delegate problems as they arise with little direction
- Collaborate across teams on detailed technical requirements, implementation approaches and problem solving.
- Interfacing with Project Management and Engineering teams; translate requirements, usability and support observations into enhancement requests.
- Ability to independently analyze problems, research potential technical solutions, evaluates alternatives, and present recommendations to the leadership team
- Assist architecture teams in developing a roadmap for the production environment
- Mentor junior staff on areas of expertise
- Detailed knowledge of Windows 2003/2008 operating systems including advanced troubleshooting.
- Create documentation detailing procedures for use by more junior staff
- Implement and troubleshoot enterprise server architecture
- Solve problems using advanced technologies and server scaling techniques
- Work to create process and procedures around technology
- Experience administrating Altiris, Symantec Management Platform or some other deployment technology.
- Understand server virtualization technology such as VMWare
- Automate tasks via scripting and automation tools
- Manage re-occurring problems through ITIL processes
- Implement and support next generation server, storage, and network hardware to match company growth
- Excellent written/verbal communication skills
- Proven ability to successfully navigate and perform in a deadline-driven, fast-paced environment, and effectively multi-task multiple priorities in a team-oriented setting
- Support and maintain communication and project workflow between engineering groups and operational groups
- Working knowledge of advanced network topologies and network infrastructure such as load balancers, firewalls, DMZ zoning, and network segregation
- Working knowledge of integrating Windows systems on a Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Maintain and update documentation on all production systems
- Maintains and builds positive customer, partner, and peer relationships
Nice to have:
- 8+ years of experience in the area of systems administration
- Experience in maintenance and monitoring of highly available and scalable system infrastructure
- Experience with Operating Systems: Windows 2003/2008, VMWare
- Experience with HP and Dell server platforms
- Strong Windows troubleshooting and administration skills
- Scripting languages such as vb script or powershell
- Strong communication skills and the ability to work both independently on projects and cooperatively with the rest of the team
- Continue to develop skills with self study and by attending vendor training/ conferences, and company provide courses
- Availability to support a 24/7 operation is required
- Minimum travel will be required
- Bachelor's degree in related field (e.g. EE, CS, CE)
· Working knowledge of Linux systems.
· CF Engine or Puppet configuration management tools
- Design/Planning software such as Microsoft Visio and Microsoft Project
Broadcast Operations / Technical Services
DIRECTV - 21 months ago
DIRECTV takes television straight to the masses. The company operates the largest direct-to-home (DTH) digital TV service in the US, ahead...