Posting Title |
Member of Technical Staff
Nicira, part of the VMware (NYSE: VMW) family, brings incredible, new features and capabilities to the VMware virtual networking portfolio. Our products, technology and team, combined with the existing network and security solutions at VMware, the global leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure, form one of the fundamental building blocks in the Software-Defined Datacenter Strategy at VMware. Innovative companies such as AT&T, DreamHost, eBay, NTT and Rackspace use our products to accelerate service delivery from weeks to minutes, transforming their cloud data center operations and economics. Be an integral part of the future of the software-defined datacenter, learn more at www.nicira.com and join our team today!
Why work for our Division
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
VMware Nicira engineering team is looking for a Build and Release Engineer who is interested in joining our Tools team. As a Software Engineer in Release Engineering you will be working with a core team to ensure NVP build system builds code 24/7. This software engineer is part of the tools team that provides systems and frameworks to fully automate builds and tests. The release engineer is also responsible for ensuring the software appliance installation and upgrade experience is flawless for the customer. You will ensure the code is built, packaged, and then provisioned and tested automatically in our continuous integration system.
- Design, implement, and maintain continuous integration system to continuously build and test code developed at VMware for the Nicira product.
- Add and configure packages containing the base operating system and Network virtualization software.
- Improve appliance installer so appliance install, upgrades, and downgrades work flawlessly.
- Manage the virtual appliance operating system base, monitoring security mailing lists, updating affected software incorporated in the appliance as required and developing security fixes as required.
- Work closely with upstream open source projects to adopt local changes.
- At least 2 plus years of experience developing and/or testing in a software environment.
- Strong coding skills in Python, with emphasis on writing modular, scalable code.
- Strong familiarity with software configuration management and source code control systems (Git, SVN, Perforce)
- Experience packaging Linux packages using either Debian or RPM.
- Excellent understanding of Unix and strong system administration skills
- Strong open source community relationship and ability to successfully contribute fixes and improvements to upstream open source projects
- Experience with virtualization systems/hypervisors (VMWare, Xen, KVM).
Education: A Computer Science undergraduate and/or master’s degree is required. Any other demonstrated high technology aptitude is desired.
San Francisco, CA, US
Is this a remote or multiple location position?
VMware - 19 months ago
VMware, Inc.is a company providing virtualization software founded in 1998 and based in Palo Alto, California, USA. It is majority owned by...