The Server Administrator II’s role includes designing, installing, administering, and optimizing server operating systems and server applications. This includes conducting analysis of specification requirements, as well as, development and implementation of standards and procedures.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- With some supervision by management and/or project leads:
- Manages the architectural design, installation, maintenance, and administration of area or unit servers.
- Conducts analysis of job/system requirements, specification preparation, and designs/implements server solutions, recommending strategic directions for area or unit.
- Supports server operating systems and server applications for an area or unit.
- Responsible for:
- Contributing to the development and implementation of standards, procedures, and operations to support software/hardware systems.
- Installation, administration, operation, and maintenance of area and unit computing systems.
- Adheres to all appropriate Institutional policies (including IT OPs) and other relevant internal departmental policies.
- Demonstrated ability to:
- Exercise judgment based on an understanding of organizational policies and activities.
- Plan and organize effectively, prioritize goals, use time efficiently, and stay on task.
- Communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective work relationships.
- Intermediate level analytical skills, including process description, logic, problem diagnostics, and problem solving.
- Training in server management through education or experience.
- Experience administering one or more of the following is preferred, but not required: Microsoft Windows, Linux servers
- Set up, configure and administer servers, storage and network devices.
- Maintain documentation and back up configuration files for Servers, Network and storage devices.
- Provides users with technical support needed on network/server related issues.
- Assist supervisor with other work related activities.
- Work after hours and or weekend when required. On call schedule
Bachelor’s degree with coursework in computer science, MIS , IT, or other related area plus one (1) year related full-time paid experience OR a combination of related education and/or experience to equal five (5) years.
For HSC Only : Applicants for this position will be subject to a criminal background check after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
For TTU Only : Applicants for this Security Sensitive Level II position will be subject to a criminal background check and must pass a drug and alcohol test after a conditional offer of employment has been extended, but before employment can be confirmed.
MCSA , Security+ and Network + certifications preferred. Linux and SAN architecture knowledge a plus.
Security Level (TTU only)
Does this position work in a research laboratory?
If yes, are select agents used in this laboratory?
Texas Tech University HSC - El Paso
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Special Instructions to Applicants
< 1/3 of time: Sit; Climb or balance; Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl;
1/3 to 2/3 of time: Stand; Walk; Use hands to finger, handle, feel; Reach with hands and arms; Talk or hear;
Weight to be lifted or force be exerted
Lift up to 10 pounds-1/3 to 2/3 of time
Lift up to 25 pounds-1/3 to 2/3 of time
Lift up to 50 pounds- Under 1/3 of time
Exposure to the following environmental conditions
< 1/3 of time: Outdoor weather; Extreme Cold (non-weather);
1/3 to 2/3 of time: Work moving mechanical parts
Hourly Pay Range
17.49 – 21.32 – 25.14
Monthly Pay Range
Internal Candidates Only?
Internal Cand Open Date
Internal Cand Closing Date
The entities of the Texas Tech University System are Equal Opportunity Employers and employ without regard to sex, race, color, national origin, religion, age, disability, genetic information, status as a disabled or Vietnam era veteran, or other protected classes.
Texas Tech University - 2 years ago