Summary of Responsibilities
A person in this position is responsible for installation, configuration, security, and ongoing maintenance of both operating systems and applications on the computing server platforms. She/He must keep systems up to date with available updates and patches, and work with the primary system users to schedule installation. She/He is required to participate in a 24 hour/day on-call rotation in support of the server platforms. She/He is responsible for making server architecture recommendations for both new and existing platforms. She/He is responsible for providing training to other members of the system administration group in areas where she/he is the subject matter expert.
- Experience installing server operating systems
- Experience installing server based software
- Two years experience managing UNIX servers
- Experience working 24×7 on-call
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Technical understanding and working knowledge of the Server operating systems
- Technical understanding and working knowledge of Server based products such as Web Servers and Databases
- An understanding of the Ethernet TCP /IP networking environment
- Analytical troubleshooting and problem determination skills
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and adapt to new responsibilities
- Good time management skills
- Well developed and demonstrated communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team on new projects and to resolve problems in such an environment in an efficient manner
Required Licenses, Certificates & Registrations
May 4, 2014 – Recruitment advertisement runs in the Wichita Eagle.
May 18, 2014 – Initial Deadline for receipt of applications; position remains open until filled.
May 19-21, 2014 – Search committee pre-screens applicants.
May 21, 2014 – Submit recommended candidate pool to VPAA and EEO
May 27-30, 2014 – Interview candidate pool on campus.
May 29-30, 2014 – If Skype interviews are needed to accommodate out of area applicants, those must be scheduled during these days. The same interview process and questions will be used.
June 2-3, 2014 – Search committee completes ranking of applicants, forward recommendations to VPAA and EEO .
June 3-4, 2014 – Review results with VPAA and EEO .
June 4-5, 2014 – Finalize decision and offer position
Notify all interviewees of the decision.
Wichita State University is inviting
applications for positions available
in University Computing and
Available positions include:
- Server Analyst Administrator
- Network Service Administrator
Proposed Salary or Hourly Rate
Commensurate with experience
Position Description Information
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS , or a related field
- Five years system administration experience in server environments
- Experience in a large server environment(50+ servers)
- Technical support experience in a local area network environment
- Experience with storage area networks and storage arrays
- Experience in higher education environment
Regular Hours of Work
8:00 am - 5:00 pm, M-F
Standard office environment with standard noise levels and adequate lighting.