Summary of Responsibilities
A person in this position is responsible for installation, configuration, security, and ongoing maintenance of both operating systems and applications on the computing server platforms. She/He must keep systems up to date with available updates and patches, and work with the primary system users to schedule installation. She/He is required to participate in a 24 hour/day on-call rotation in support of the server platforms. She/He is responsible for making server architecture recommendations for both new and existing platforms. She/He is responsible for providing training to other members of the system administration group in areas where she/he is the subject matter expert.
- Experience installing server operating systems
- Experience installing server based software
- Two years experience managing UNIX servers
- Experience working 24×7 on-call
Knowledge, skills and abilities
- Technical understanding and working knowledge of the Server operating systems
- Technical understanding and working knowledge of Server based products such as Web Servers and Databases
- An understanding of the Ethernet TCP /IP networking environment
- Analytical troubleshooting and problem determination skills
- Ability and willingness to learn new skills and adapt to new responsibilities
- Good time management skills
- Well developed and demonstrated communication skills
- Ability to work as a member of a team on new projects and to resolve problems in such an environment in an efficient manner
Required Licenses, Certificates & Registrations
May 4, 2014 – Recruitment advertisement runs in the Wichita Eagle.
May 18, 2014 – Initial Deadline for receipt of applications; position remains open until filled.
May 19-21, 2014 – Search committee pre-screens applicants.
May 21, 2014 – Submit recommended candidate pool to VPAA and EEO
May 27-30, 2014 – Interview candidate pool on campus.
May 29-30, 2014 – If Skype interviews are needed to accommodate out of area applicants, those must be scheduled during these days. The same interview process and questions will be used.
June 2-3, 2014 – Search committee completes ranking of applicants, forward recommendations to VPAA and EEO .
June 3-4, 2014 – Review results with VPAA and EEO .
June 4-5, 2014 – Finalize decision and offer position
Notify all interviewees of the decision.
Wichita State University is inviting
applications for positions available
in University Computing and
Available positions include:
- Server Analyst Administrator
- Network Service Administrator
Proposed Salary or Hourly Rate
Commensurate with experience
Position Description Information
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, MIS , or a related field
- Five years system administration experience in server environments
- Experience in a large server environment(50+ servers)
- Technical support experience in a local area network environment
- Experience with storage area networks and storage arrays
- Experience in higher education environment
Regular Hours of Work
8:00 am - 5:00 pm, M-F
Standard office environment with standard noise levels and adequate lighting.
Wichita State University is one of six state universities in Kansas. WSU enrolls nearly 15,000 students and offers more than 60...