Business Unit: Central Transportation
Reports To: Service Center Manager
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Summary: Performs regular preventive maintenance to truck and trailer fleet by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
- Performs in great detail periodic vehicle inspections.
- Ability to diagnose and prioritize repairs for misadjusted, inoperable, misaligned, cracked or broken components, along with the severity of repairs.
- Performs preventive maintenance on all equipment to stay in DOT Compliance.
- Basic understanding of electronics and trouble shooting of A/C, hydraulics, and air systems.
- Must be able to perform all areas of repairs on brakes systems, wheel ends, suspensions, steering systems, power and drive trains as needed.
- Ability to document parts usage and overview of work done in an accurate and legible manner on work orders.
- Ensures safety policies and procedures are followed, and equipment is utilized within the shop facility.
- Possesses required Class “A” CDL with Tank and Haz-Mat endorsement.
- Welding, bodywork, decaling are all helpful but not required.
- Supports other duties that may be necessary or assigned.
Competencies To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies:
Organizational Support - Supports organization's goals and values; Demonstrates knowledge of product and procedures; Follows instructions and responds to management direction; Meets and strives to increase productivity standards; Displays orientation to profitability; Conserves organizational resources; Keeps commitments; Responds to requests for service and assistance; Identifies and resolves problems in a timely manner; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Able to read and interpret written information and complete required paperwork; Commits to long and irregular hours of work when necessary to reach goals.
Self-Management - Works with integrity, honesty, and ethically; Exhibits sound and accurate judgment; Uses time efficiently; Completes tasks correctly and on time; Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, and attention to detail; Handles multiple tasks simultaneously and manages competing demands; Reacts well under pressure; Uses reason and keeps emotions under control; Speaks clearly in any situation; Listens and gets clarification; Treats others with respect and consideration; Accepts responsibility for own actions; Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events; Is reliable and dependable, consistently at work, and arrives at meetings and appointments on time.
Safety and Security - Observes and follows safety and security policies and procedures, including proper attire; Uses equipment and materials properly; Reports potentially unsafe conditions.
Qualifications To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience – Two-year college or technical school; or two years general experience and/or training on preventive maintenance on Class 8 trucks; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Language Skills - Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to complete work order forms. Ability to speak effectively with other employees of organization.
Mathematical Skills - Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
Reasoning Ability - Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations - Current Driver's License, including CDL.
Other Skills, Abilities and Qualifications - Basic training and/or experience in diesel engines, air brake systems, air conditioning, preventive maintenance, and tire repair and replacement.
Physical Demands The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work Environment The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel, and to talk or hear. The employee is regularly required to stand; frequently required to walk and reach with hands and arms and to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; occasionally climb ladders or balance. The employee must be able to get into and out of various pieces of heavy equipment or trucks, and frequently lift and /or move from 50 to 100 pounds several times weekly. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles and to outside weather conditions. The employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts and vibration. The noise level in the office environment is usually quiet and is moderate to loud in the shop area.
United Suppliers - 5 months ago