The purpose of this position is to assist with animal shelter operations and services. This is accomplished by maintaining the animal shelter, assisting the public with adoptions and redemptions and providing customer service to the general public. Other duties may include following up on adoptions and redemptions, caring for animals and interfacing with other City employees and citizens. This position does not provide direction to other employees.
The information listed below is intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of this position.
- Maintains the Animal Shelter by performing small repairs, cleaning and disinfecting animal cages, cleaning and disinfecting litter boxes, storing, preparing supplies, sweeping and mopping floors, removing trash, maintaining and cleaning equipment.
- Assists the public with adoptions and redemptions by performing adoption procedures, assisting in reclaiming lost animals, directing the public to the areas of the shelter, helping customers complete paperwork, recording animal information and maintaining records.
- Provides assistance to the general public by answering inquiries over the telephone or in person, directing telephone calls, preparing and maintaining records, receiving paperwork and entering information into computer.
- Follows up on adoptions and redemptions by checking the computer system for City registration information, checking adoption contracts for proof of vaccinations and sterilizations and sending notification letters if contracts are not met.
- Cares for animals by feeding and watering animals, exercising and bathing animals, assisting with vaccinating and euthanizing animals.
Work requires knowledge necessary to understand basic operational, technical, or office processes. Level of knowledge equivalent to four years of high school or equivalency.
No experience required.
Certification and Other Requirements
Valid Texas Class C Drivers License; Ability to obtain a Euthanasia Technician Certification within 120 days of employment.
Basic - Ability to recognize meaning of common two- or three-syllable words. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to perform the four basic arithmetic operations. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Basic - Ability to write simple sentences containing subject, verb, and object, and/or series of numbers, names, and addresses. Ordinarily, such education is obtained in elementary school up to high school. However, it may be obtained from experience and self-study.
Receives immediate direction. The employee normally performs the duty assignment after receiving detailed instructions as to methods, procedures, and desired end results with little room for deviation. Close and constant review is given.
Supervisory / Organizational Control
No responsibility for the direction or supervision of others.
Normal tasks require use of definite procedures, with little deviation. Work requires little or no analysis or judgment.
Interpersonal / Human Relations Skills
Discussion Frequent: From 21% to 50% of work time.