Location: Central Library
200 SE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
Hours: Part-time, must be available evenings and weekends; $7.25 per hour; scheduled approximately 20 hours per week.
Start Date: July 24, 2014
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Under the supervision of a Customer Services Supervisor, a Shelver works in circulation services and facilitates the use of Library materials by consistently and correctly maintaining the orderly arrangement of Library materials in an assigned area according to Library practices and procedures. The shelver may occasionally, as assigned, perform record maintenance, customer service, or other activities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES :
Physical Requirements: This work requires the regular exertion of up to 10 pounds of force, frequent exertion of up to 25 pounds of force and occasional exertion of up to 50 pounds of force; work regularly requires speaking or hearing and using hands to finger, handle or feel, frequently requires sitting, reaching with hands and arms, pushing or pulling, lifting and repetitive motions and occasionally requires standing, walking, climbing or balancing and stooping, kneeling, crouching or crawling; work requires close vision; vocal communication is required for expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word; hearing is required to perceive information at normal spoken word levels; work requires preparing and analyzing written or computer data, visual inspection involving small defects and/or small parts, operating machines and observing general surroundings and activities; work occasionally requires exposure to outdoor weather conditions; work is generally in a moderately noisy location (e.g. business office, light traffic).
- Sorts Library materials or records according to Library coding/organization systems; systematically arranges the materials/records in appropriate storage/display areas.
- In a systematic way, looks at materials in storage/display areas (“reads” shelves) and rearranges any disorganized materials.
- Maintains the neat and organized appearance of an assigned area by picking up trash, straightening books and other materials, and otherwise maintaining the area as assigned.
- Looks for worn or damaged materials, removes such items from display/storage areas and shows them to his/her supervisor for possible repair or withdrawal.
- Helps sort/process items shipped through intra-Library messenger or mail service.
- Cleans/repairs Library materials; inspects returned items for damage.
- Assists in opening/closing procedure.
- Helps maintain neatness in work area.
- Answers directional and similar inquiries of a non-reference nature by telephone and in person; refers persons requiring professional assistance to the appropriate staff or librarian.
- Assists with checking in (discharging) and checking out (charging) Library materials.
- Assists in locating books or other materials requested by title/author for customers as requested and time permits.
REQUIRES: High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or 6 to 18 months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. May consider less than high school diploma or general education degree (GED) and/or no prior experience. Must have great customer service skills, excellent communication skills, be self motivated, able to work a flexible schedule including evening and weekend hours, and be dependable and responsible. Applicants must adhere to Library’s Dress Guidelines (“Business Casual”) and dress suitable for the task at hand, and must maintain good personal hygiene in compliance with Library Code of Conduct.
Qualified persons interested may submit an EVPL Electronic Application . Applicant materials will be taken until the position is filled.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library
Attn: Human Resources
200 S.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
Evansville, IN 47713
EVPL is an equal opportunity employer.
Evansville Vanderburgh Public Library - 4 months ago