SERTA MATTRESS-NATIONAL BEDDING COMPANY
Title: SHIPPING DOCK SUPERVISOR
Responsible for the implementation of manufacturing and delivery schedules ensuring timely and efficient delivery of high quality bedding products at the best cost, and for the preservation of Company assets. Supervises and utilizes available resources (manpower and equipment) to move freight in the safest and most cost effective manner to meet/exceed customer expectations and to achieve service center and Company goals. Prepares daily and weekly reports and maintains related delivery documentation. Hand-on management of Shipping Dock Personnel in a Union environment. Works in a continuous Improvement (Lean Manufacturing) area.
*1. Plans, organizes and supervises the delivery function of the department ensuring timely and efficient delivery of high quality Serta products. Coordinates with the Plant Shipping Supervisor, Plant Production Supervisors, Production Scheduler, and Plant KPO. Works effectively with customers and Sale's Department to load deliveries and the document all returned merchandise.
*2. Ensures the cost effectiveness of the delivery function, including the control of labor utilization - preventing excess hours, downtime and overtime, and efficient usage of transportation related equipment. Tracks and analyzes functional metrics and recommends appropriate alternatives. Keeps all Lean Manufacturing metrics updated each day and assist the Dock personnel in meeting set goals for safety, quality and cost.
*3. Supervises and directs all job related activities of Dock workers and other support staff engaged in the loading and unloading of freight. Ensures products are loaded in adherence to approved loading patterns in order to prevent freight damage during transit and safe truck operations.
*4. Prepare and plans daily utilization of resources to ensure a consistent and efficient operation while adhering to scheduled transit times and reduction of short ships.
*5. Monitors and analyzes dispatch activities and scheduling metrics to ensure maximum effectiveness.
*6. Completes necessary paperwork, computer entries and prepares daily management reports, Load Sheets and Not Made reports. Prepares other standard and ad hoc reports as needed.
*7. Maintains various files and records - both computerized and hard copy files. Performs daily file back up of computer systems.
*8. Recruits, interviews and makes selection recommendations for Dock positions. Provides initial and on-going training and evaluation to assigned personnel related to job duties and performance expectations utilizing work method programs to motivate employees in order to improve performance and quality of work. Manages work assignments and provides/facilitates training related to job duties, Company policies and procedures. Raises employee performance levels through consistent feedback and ongoing coaching.
*9. Fosters positive working relationships. Responds proactively to performance concerns, discipline, employee complaints and other employee relations matters.
*10. Ensures safety and health procedures are being followed within the delivery function and in the Plant. Administers and reinforces safety and health programs to ensure a safe work environment in compliance with government regulations. Supports safe handling, loading and storage of materials on the dock and/or in offsite warehouses. Corrects and/or reports unsafe conditions. Coordinates with Plant personnel to report and investigate work related accidents and injuries on a timely basis.
11. Identifies systems and procedures designed to improve operations. Makes recommendations and implements new programs as needed.
12. Assists the Plant Shipping Supervisor and Plant Manager with special projects as requested.
13. Maintains knowledge of current trends in the field; and attends appropriate training programs to remain current on delivery, local union, health/safety and related issues.
14. Performs other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION, TRAINING AND EXPERIENCE
1. Associate of Arts degree or specialized training beyond a HS diploma/HS equivalency.
2. Two or more years shipping and delivery related experience to include supervisory or significant lead level experience; or equivalent training and experience in other plant operations
3. Computer proficiency with intermediate MS Excel skills and internet research skills
4. Experience working with data driven measurements and metrics for functional area
5. Working knowledge of DOT regulations
1. Associate of Arts degree or formal vocational training in technical, business or related field
2. Beginner to intermediate MS Word and mainframe database skills
3. Experience working with routing software
4. Experience managing budget line items
5. Working knowledge of OSHA regulations
6. Familiarity with Federal, State and local health and safety regulations
1. Effective communication and interpersonal skills
2. Mathematical and analytical aptitude
3. Effective organizational and planning skills.
4. Ability to interpret and support standards, policies and procedures established by National Bedding Company, Serta Inc., Federal, State or local agencies.
5. This position requires "Hand-On" management skills with standing and/or walking continually.
Errors committed in the course of performing the duties of this position can cause serious and substantial financial, quality, health/safety and legal problems for the Plant and Company.
Work involves exposure to usual hazards found in a manufacturing environment. Work also involves occasional lifting of product, up to 100lbs.
WORKERS SUPERVISED: Assigned delivery function employees
SUPERVISED BY: Plant Manager
PROMOTION TO: Plant Manager
PROMOTION FROM: Shipping Clerk or Lead Production Employee
EEO CLASS: 1
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.
Serta Mattress Company - 11 months ago