Job Description: Shipping Manager
- Supervise the activities of workers engaged in receiving, storing, testing, and shipping products or materials.
- Prepare or direct preparation of correspondence, reports, and operations, maintenance, and safety manuals.
- Issue shipping instructions and provide routing information to ensure that delivery times and locations are coordinated.
- Inspect physical conditions of warehouses, vehicle fleets, or equipment and order testing, maintenance, repairs, or replacements.
- Respond to customers' or shippers' questions and complaints regarding storage and distribution services.
- Develop and document standard and emergency operating procedures for receiving, handling, storing, shipping, or salvaging products or materials.
- Develop or implement plans for facility modification or expansion, such as equipment purchase or changes in space allocation or structural design.
- Arrange for necessary shipping documentation and contact customs officials to effect release of shipments. Examine invoices and shipping manifests for conformity to tariff and customs regulations.
- Examine products or materials to estimate quantities or weight and type of container required for storage or transport.
- Arrange for storage facilities when required.
- Develop or implement plans for storage and distribution activities that emphasize technological solutions for sustainability, such as investment in smart or eco-friendly containers, dynamic distribution networks, warehouse renovations, or fuel efficient fleets.
- Create and deliver all Performance Reviews for Shipping and Receiving employees.
- Partner with management and human resources to implement employment actions such as hiring, evaluation and promotions.
- Create and implement measures to track and improve productivity, efficiency and accuracy.
- Counsel employees in work related activities, personal growth and / or career development.
- Resolve employee problems, complaints or formal grievances when possible or refer / work with higher level supervisors for resolution.
- Partner with management team and human resources to design, develop and implement employment actions such as performance improvement plans and corrective action.
Manage all metrics and reporting for Shipping and Receiving department. Create system for tracking and reporting information including:
- KPIs for Daily Shipments:
- % Shipping Errors per Month
- % Warehouse Errors per Month
- Number of UPS Shipments per B.U. and Total
- Number of Truck Shipments per B.U. and Total
- Others as appropriate
- Non-Conforming Parts and On-Time Delivery Results:
- Number of Non-conforming parts per B.U.
- Late Shipments / Number per Vendor per month
- Monthly Metrics for Employees:
- Full time / Temp Employees
- Overtime Hours
- Vacation / Sick Days.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal communication skills.
- 5 years experience in a shipping and receiving, material handling, and inventory control environment required. Experience in a discrete assembly environment with high volume parts receiving and diverse equipment shipping preferred.
- Prior experience with ERP, Inventory Management and Physical Inventory, Hi-Lo, Crane required. Fork Lift License preferred.
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial Engineering, Logistics or Business or related discipline preferred.
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory experience required, including conducting performance evaluations, staffing, etc.
- Experience in extracting and analyzing data using information system reporting tools such as ERP, Access, SQL, etc.
- Demonstrated experience with continuous improvement, such as 5S, Kaizen, Kanban experience preferred.
Proud to be an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
ITW Signode - 12 months ago