To perform a variety of skilled electrical maintenance and repair tasks to traffic signals (170 type controllers), video detection systems, computerized traffic network and City owned street lights, and related electrical or electronic equipment; to plan, organize, and follow preventative maintenance schedules for traffic signalized intersection equipment; and to maintain accurate related records. This job class requires knowledge of skilled electrical maintenance and repair methods, practices, and procedures and the ability to respond quickly to restore service of malfunctioning signal equipment and street lights to ensure public safety.
Examples of Duties and Responsibilities:
• Performs a variety of skilled electrical and maintenance repair tasks to traffic signals (170 type controllers) and related electrical and electronic equipment.
• Performs maintenance repair tasks to City owned street light system.
• Installs, maintains and programs video detection system.
• Installs, maintains and repairs computerized traffic network.
• Plans and organizes comprehensive preventative maintenance schedules for traffic signalized intersection equipment and City owned street lighting system.
• Inspects, tests, and cleans traffic signal equipment; re-lamps and cleans traffic signal heads; immediately corrects malfunctions of equipment.
• Receives, maintains, completes, and/or forwards a variety of records related to traffic signal/street lighting operations; prepares and forwards work orders and invoices on finished jobs.
• Verifies in-service signal timing against timing records; ensures proper operation of inter-connected signals to provide satisfactory traffic progression.
• Identifies and marks underground traffic signal conduits and wiring.
• Operates a variety of electronic and electrical testing equipment.
• Plans and constructs electrical circuits for traffic signals and street light systems including specialized equipment and controls.
• Contacts manufacturer regarding malfunctioning signal equipment; packages, ships, and/or receives equipment as needed.
• Restores, rebuilds, and refinishes signal/streetlight equipment; obtains bids from signal suppliers and orders parts and equipment to maintain adequate inventory levels.
• Creates, updates, and maintains a variety of database files including inventory records using existing software programs; completes monthly reports and other reports and correspondence on word processor.
• Assists in preparation of signal maintenance/street lighting budget.
• May monitor and direct the work of City maintenance staff on a project lead basis.
• Attends seminars and training courses as required.
• Performs related duties similar to the above in scope and function as required.
Education and Experience:
High school diploma or G.E.D.
Four years experience in electrical or communication systems repair and maintenance, including one year of traffic signal maintenance.
One year of experience with 170 type controllers and video detection systems is desirable as well as certification as a journey level electrician.
An equivalent combination of education and experience.
POSSESSION AND MAINTENANCE OF:
· A valid California class C driver's license and a satisfactory driving record.
· International Municipal Signal Association Certificate - Level II highly desirable.
• Standard practices, methods, materials, and tools used in the electrical and electronics trades.
• Safety precautions and procedures.
• Design, operation, and repair of computerized controls.
• Perform skilled electrical maintenance and repair work to traffic signal/street lights and related equipment.
• Read and interpret blueprints, sketches, and diagrams.
• Maintain accurate work logs and records.
• Understand and follow both oral and written instructions in an independent manner.
• Safely use and operate a variety of tools and equipment related to signal maintenance and repair
• Use designated computer database and work processing systems as appropriate to assignment
• Quickly and effectively diagnose maintenance and repair problems and take appropriate action to resolve same
• Accurately perform arithmetical calculations
• Work safely and effectively on lift trucks at varying heights
• Meet the physical requirements necessary to safely and effectively perform required duties
• Establish and maintain effective work relationships with those contacted in the performance of required duties
City of San Luis Obispo - 13 months ago