The S & C Supervisor works in the day-to-day operation and is responsible for a specific territory. They must manage and coach a unionized workforce to safely and cost-effectively manage the organization's assets. They operate as part of a team to ensure the on-time performance of trains and to deliver on the commitments we made to our customers.
Key duties include:
• Plan, coordinate, and direct the inspection, maintenance, repair, and replacement of signal devices and systems in accordance with sound engineering practices and approved railway standards, specifications and procedures.
• Assist in the development of short and long-range maintenance and replacement programs.
• Supervise 10-30 employees and provide training and support in safety procedures, signalling practices and operating rules.
CN operates 24 hours per day, 7 days per week and as such, our supervisors work and/or are on call during that time. The S & C Supervisor may work varying days with varied days off depending upon project demands, travel and operational requirements, and can be called at any time to deal with derailments, flooding, washouts, or any other emergency affecting the safe passage of trains. Working extended hours and travel should be expected.
• Experience in railroad signaling, as well as a comprehensive understanding of both signal construction and maintenance would be preferred
• Knowledge of Railway Signaling principles and Operating Rules an asset
• An undergraduate degree or diploma in Electronics or related field is an asset. Strong programming skills, especially in the area of Programmable Logic Controls (PLC), are an asset to assist with Hump troubleshooting as well as system optimization.
• A high school diploma or GED required.
• Great planning skills, successful troubleshooting and problem solving.
• Excellent communication skills are required.
• The successful candidate must have a good understanding of labour and collective agreements, their impact and related issues.
• Computer proficiency in Word and Excel an asset
• Must have a valid driver's license
• Adaptability to a fast-paced, ever-changing environment
• Must be self-motivated and capable of working with minimal supervision.
• The successful candidate will be a focused professional who can balance results with people issues.
CN is an employment equity employer, and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted.
Canadian National Railway - 8 months ago
copy to clipboard