King County Housing Authority, a high performing nationally recognized leader in affordable housing is looking for an experienced and reliable Site Based Maintenance Mechanic in the NE Region at Kirkland, WA.
THIS POSITION IS REPRESENTED AND UNION MEMBERSHIP IS REQUIRED AT THE TIME OF HIRE.
This is semi-skilled and manual work maintaining, servicing and repairing public housing residential units and housing properties. Work includes painting, carpentry, plumbing and electrical work, preventative maintenance work, general grounds maintenance as needed. Work includes responding to over-time emergency calls. May assist with ordering and buying material as directed by Property Manager. Work includes customer service in working within tenant residences and respecting cultural differences.
This section serves to illustrate the more typical aspects of the work indicative of the classification. The primary functions of the classification are not to be considered a detailed description of every duty of each position allocated to the classification. The responsibilities and essential duties typically performed by positions allocated to this classification on a frequent and recurring basis include:
1. Performs semi-skilled maintenance and repair work in maintaining tenant residences and authority properties, which may include construction work such as framing, siding, insulation, wiring, repairing flooring such as tile and lamination, roofing including painting, priming and texturing; drywall repair and replacement, plumbing, replace electrical fixtures, switches and outlets.
2. Perform unit vacate work; creates and completes work orders; creates timelines to complete scheduled contract work.
3. Repairs cabinetry and counter tops.
4. Maintains, repairs and replaces appliances including stoves, refrigerators, dishwashers, washers and dryers; replaces burners, heating elements, controls and knobs.
5. Replaces and repairs fixtures; replaces toilets, tank flush handles, flopper and ball cocks; cleans vent fans, cleans and replaces motor blades and support brackets.
6. Monitors supplies and inventory; researches vendors cost and budget to purchase supplies and materials.
7. Performs preventative maintenance by inspecting buildings and systems, observe potential hazards while performing other duties.
8. Documents and reports unsafe conditions or necessary repairs; initiates and/or receives work orders, determines work requirements and completes work to close out work order.
9. Operates light-duty trucks and equipment; inspects and services equipment to maintain proper operating and safety requirements.
10. Completes work records, time sheets, requisitions and accident reports.
11. May assist in performing ground maintenance such as mowing, trimming, fixing fences, and/or collecting and removing trash.
12. Responds to emergency maintenance calls for service.
13. Maintains consistent and reliable attendance with the ability to arrive on time.
Qualifications and Competencies:
The qualifications and competencies required to perform the duties and responsibilities of this classification are:
A typical way to obtain the qualifications and competencies is:
- Work requires knowledge of building methods, materials, tools and equipment particularly, painting, carpentry, plumbing, electrical or mechanical trades.
- Work requires the ability to troubleshoot mechanical, electrical, appliances, plumbing problems and determine most cost effective method for repair; work in tight, confined or roofs; to read and interpret diagrams, schematics, blueprints, drawings specifications and manuals; to maintain effective customer relations with tenants and their family members.
Work requires a high school diploma or equivalent and two years experience in the maintenance of residential buildings, or an equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the necessary competencies.
Valid Washington State Driver license and acceptable driving record at time of appointment and throughout employment in this position.
Incumbent(s) must be able to meet the physical requirements of the classification and have mobility, balance, coordination, vision, hearing and dexterity levels appropriate to the functions performed. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Work is performed primarily in both indoor and outdoor environments with exposure to dirt and dust, noise, fumes and orders, darkness or poor lighting in performing maintenance work. Incumbent(s) frequently use power and hand tools and machinery and requires bending, lifting, kneeling, climbing as well as working on ladders and tight spaces. Work may occasionally expose incumbent to electrical, chemical and mechanical hazards natural to maintenance work performed.
KCHA owns and manages nearly 3,500 units of federally subsidized housing for families, the elderly and people living with disabilities and...