As the nation's first multi-campus charter school, Friendship Public Charter School has been producing college-ready students for over 15 years. From Preschool through 12th grade, Friendship invests in providing a rigorous academic curriculum that enables our children to excel as ethical, literate, and well-rounded leaders in a 21st century economy. We surpass our peers across the District in public education with a 91% graduation and college entrance rate. To this end, we also hold the quality, success, and development of our teachers with paramount importance. We provide a number of professional growth and development opportunities which have afforded us both the 2010 and 2011 DC Teachers of the Year, and 3 outstanding school principals who launched their careers in our classrooms.
Friendship Public Charter School’s teachers exceed expectations and take on a range of responsibilities in order to ensure every student achieves the academic skills, intellectual habits, and character traits necessary to succeed in the nation’s top universities and beyond. With unwavering commitment, passion, and exceptional talent, our teachers lead our vision for quality and equitable education. Friendship teachers recognize the challenges faced in closing the achievement gap, but persist in leading our children to exceptional heights through data driven academic gains, comprehensive and engaging instruction, and outstanding leadership.
SmartLabs are project-based, student-centered learning labs that reinforce multidisciplinary academic content and develop 21 st century skills. Students in SmartLabs work through a series project-based learning engagements utilizing a wide variety of applied technologies. SmartLab Facilitators work with students as coaches and mentors rather than through direct instruction. Facilitators must be expert at differentiated instruction and familiar with the use of constructivist learning techniques.
Learn more about SmartLab learning environments online: http://www.creativelearningsystems.com/smartlab.aspx
Excellent Teaching & Learning
Environment Conducive to Learning
- Demonstrate continued mastery of content area
- Lead students to high levels of academic success through rigorous, targeted, and differentiated instruction
- Design and deliver engaging instruction addressing a full range of student needs and learning styles
- Utilize literacy strategies across all content areas
- Develop formal and informal assessments to measure student mastery
- Use data to drive instruction
- Manage a classroom of 12-16 student pairs with each team working simultaneously on different projects (projects range from robotics to video production)
- Cultivate a classroom culture that targets and develops problem solving skills
- Hold students accountable to high academic and behavioral expectations
- Align practices and routines to an achievement-oriented classroom culture
- Foster a safe environment that encourages curiosity, academic risk taking, accountability, and collaboration
- Organize course-related field trips
Organizational Strength & Viability
- Reflect on classroom success and areas of improvement to continuously develop practice
- Contribute to the campus and Friendship-wide community by collaborating, seeking professional development, and sharing best practices
- Promote parent involvement through meaningful and consistent communication
- Maintain high professional standards in communication with students, teachers, parents and school administrators
- Backgrounds with experience in Science, Graphic Design, Computer Technology, and AV Equipment strongly preferred
- Basic desktop navigation and trouble shooting skills
- Commitment to providing a world-class education to students from historically underserved communities
- 5+ of teaching experience
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university required. Master’s degree preferred
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 and above required
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced and rapidly changing environment
- Strong oral and written communication skills
*Training in the relevant technologies and curriculum will be provided. However, candidates must have good computer skills and be able to quickly learn new computer applications, a wide variety of equipment, and new instructional approaches.
Friendship Public Charter Schools - 9 months ago