Posting Title |
Snr. Software Quality Engineer
VMware is the leader in virtualization and cloud infrastructure solutions that enable our more than 400,000 enterprise and SMB customers to thrive in the Cloud Era by simplifying, automating and transforming the way they build, deliver and consume IT. As a team, our employees thrive on forward momentum. We are an engine of opportunity fueled by the transformative products and solutions we bring to market, the passion and trust we inspire in our customers, and our collaborative drive to imagine, define and deliver the future of IT through cloud computing. With 13,000+ employees and 50+ locations worldwide, we are a passionate, innovative and driven group of people inspired by the opportunity to actively learn and contribute something back to the broader community. Connect with us at www.vmware.com/careers.
Why work for our Division
VMware’s world-class, award-winning R&D team is comprised of thousands of top-notch computer scientists and software engineers that are transforming computing through virtualization. Members of the R&D team voice their creative ideas and watch them become initiatives, participate in exciting short-term and long-term products on the VMware roadmap, initiate advanced research projects, and/or write and test code that ships. At VMware, our engineers continue to learn and grow by working with top professionals from around the world and recent graduates of top universities and by taking advantage of our extensive internal training opportunities and generous external education assistance program. R&D team members work on the latest computing equipment and have access to the ACM and IEEE libraries. VMware has R&D offices in: Silicon Valley; Cambridge, MA; Broomfield, CO; Sofia, Bulgaria; Aarhus, Denmark; London, UK; Herzliya, Israel; Bangalore, India; and Beijing, China.
VMware is continually looking for a highly independent, creative, and critically thinking Quality Engineer (QE) to play a leading role in the quality engineering effort for a new v1 product going into production this year. We are a small dynamic and growing team, so we are looking for someone who is willing to pitch in with the rest of the team to do whatever it takes to deliver a high quality product that meets our customer’s needs.
This Quality Engineer will be responsible for evaluating test automation framework needs and implementing a framework that is maintainable, scalable and robust. The ultimate responsibility will be ensuring we have the right test automation to keep the quality high and the customers happy. You are passionate about test automation and big data challenges in large scale distributed server environments. You have experience building test frameworks that stand the test of time and deliver effective and efficient testing. You have learned some hard lessons about what it takes to keep a distributed server system up and running 24/7 and (ideally under large scale loads). You thrive under the pressure of being a critical member of the team and you are always known as the go-to-guy. You’re looking for a position that challenges you and provides you a supportive environment in which to grow – and this is the job for you.
- Create and review test plans, test cases, and test specifications
- Design, develop and execute manual and automated tests, including scalability, reliability, performance, and failure/recovery testing
- Design, build and maintain test automation framework and tools
- Oversee execution of tests and analysis of test results
- Debug product issues and file bug reports, working with other engineers to diagnose issues
- 5+ years as a Quality Engineer using scripting languages and one of the following: C, C++, Java or C#
- Test automation experience including building test frameworks for API, backend, and UI testing
- 2+ years testing data storage technologies (file systems, databases, etc) or data transfer protocols where data integrity and performance is critical
- Ability to work on a multidisciplinary team – proven team player
- Innovative, creative problem solver with an eye for detail and accuracy
- Ability to multitask and stay organized in a dynamic work environment
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- BS/MS in Computer Science or equivalent
Additional desired experience:
- Working in an Agile/Scrum product delivery environment
- Working with multiple types of database and web servers
- Using both Linux and Windows operating systems
- Working with continuous Integration tools like Jenkins/ Hudson
- Testing large scale distributed server deployments, big data, and virtualization
- Using VMware Virtual Center and ESX
Seattle, WA, US
Is this a remote or multiple location position?
VMware is the leader in cloud infrastructure, business mobility and virtualization software. A pioneer in the use of virtualization and...