The Social Services Assistant performs a diversity of administrative and
clerical duties. The Social Services Assistant is an energetic, amicable, and
highly organized individual who provides key support to the Social Services
Director. The Social Services Assistant works independently and with multiple
agencies, staff and community members.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Although other duties may be assigned, the essential duties include the
- Must be able to document and record information accurately and proficiently.
- Responsible for office operations such as; typing, filing and answering
- Must possess the ability to make independent decisions, follow instructions
and accept constructive criticism.
- Must communicate critical information by conveying information clearly,
accurately, honestly, and concisely in accordance with company policies and
- Must be able to speak, write and understand English in a manner that is
professional and sufficient for effective communication with supervisor, courts,
agencies and families.
- Ensure that all charted progress notes are informative and descriptive of
the services provided and of the client’s progress or as given by the Social
- Must maintain charts (filing, updating, case notes, organizing).
- Recommend to the Director the equipment and supply needs of the department.
Place orders for equipment and supplies as necessary or as may be required.
- Processes incoming mail and outgoing mail and prepare it for the postal
service, courier or overnight service.
- Prepare purchase orders and invoices as needed.
- Assist in generation of reports, including data gathering via the computer
system, printed reports or other available information.
- Must be able to maintain client confidentiality in a challenging
- Assist in obtaining resources from community, social, health and welfare
agencies to meet the needs of the client.
- Assist in making appropriate referrals for services to meet the needs of the
- Will be driving company vehicle and/or personal vehicle for purposes of
court, client transport, and supervised visitation.
- Assist the Social Services Director in administration and coordination of
daily operations within the scope of duties and granted authority as outlined in
this position description.
- Accountable for the inventory and procurement of all department equipment
and supplies. Monitor maintenance and proper operation of all communication
systems and office equipment in department, i.e., telephone, security, office
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, CERTIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES:
- Performs other related duties as directed by the Social Services Director.
- Have the ability to work effectively with Native American people in
culturally diverse environments.
- Knowledge of ICWA and Juvenile Dependency matters.
- Have the ability to manage time well and work under stressful conditions
with an even temperament.
- Have the ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships
with other employees, other agencies, community and clients.
- Knowledge of common computer software applications such as: Microsoft
Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Publisher.
- Have the ability to understand and follow oral and written instructions.
- Must be able to perform duties independently, establishing office efficiency
and set priorities in order to meet deadlines.
- Must have education or training in Social Services related field or
qualifying work experience.
- Must possess intermediate office skills such as; good telephone skills,
typing and alphabetical/numerical filling.
- Must have the ability to work independently.
- Must possess excellent communication skills such as; telephone, written, and
- Must have a positive mental attitude and be able to deal with stressful and
unpleasant situations without losing composure.
- Must possess valid driver’s license, and good driving record.
- Must adhere to confidentiality policy.
- Must successfully pass a pre-employment drug and alcohol screening test and
criminal background check.
- Must provide documentation or become vaccinated with the recommended
vaccines and Hepatitis B vaccine and test annually for TB.
- Must be organized and detailed orientated.
- Must acknowledge and agree to maintain a Drug-Free workplace as a
condition of employment with the Pala Band of Mission Indians.
- Indian preference will apply. The Pala Band of Mission Indians will give
hiring preference to fully qualified applicants that are Pala Tribal Members.
Pala Band of Mission Indians is an equal opportunity employer.
All employees are expected to follow the Tribal Personnel Policies and
Procedures of the Pala Band of Mission Indians and must adhere to any additional
Pala Band of Mission Indians - 14 months ago