Responsible for initiating and maintaining a comprehensive social services program within the facility. Assists residents/patients in the achievement and maintenance of maximum psychosocial functioning and independence. Handles resident/patient concerns and assists residents/patients in a respectful and non-judgmental manner, fostering independence and self-determination whenever possible. Coordinates a self-governing resident council and arranges for a family council. Maintains resident/patient records per federal and state regulations and Extendicare policies and procedures. Makes optimum use of community resources and assists in the facilitation of the resident’s/patient’s discharge planning. This position is an active member of the Interdisciplinary Team (IDT). Develops a working relationship with private and public social health and welfare resources in the community. Follows all Extendicare polices and procedures.
Oversees the Social Services Assistant(s).
• Makes daily work assignments.
• *Directs the work of employees.
• Schedules lunch and rest breaks
• Authorizes early departure from work.
• Authorizes overtime.
• Reassigns employees from one area to another area as facility needs dictate.
• Prepares written evaluations of assigned employees.
• Enforces facility policies with authority to issue Disciplinary Action Reports as needed.
• Authority to suspend employees for rules violation.
• Initials time records to authorize variances.
• Interviews applicants that will be assigned to his/her area of responsibility.
• Receives and handles employee complaints.
• *Participates in training programs and assists in orientation of new staff.
2. Counsels prospective residents/patients and families, as needed, for adequate preparation for admission to the facility, including providing assistance to residents/patients and/or families in obtaining financial services, when needed.
3. Meets with new residents/patients to answer questions. Ensures they have been informed of their personal and property rights and obtains information for a social history and assessment. Provides assistance, as needed, to residents/patients and families to ensure a satisfactory adjustment to life in the facility. Addresses difficulties with emotional adjustment to the facility through interviews, counseling, and referrals when indicated. Consults with other disciplines as appropriate.
4. Ensures that social services are coordinated with other facility services. Coordinates behavior management programs with the assistance of other departments.
5. Develops a relationship with each resident/patient by visiting them regularly. Documents problems and needs. Provides timely and appropriate psychosocial intervention for residents/patients as required. Documents the intervention.
6. Informs residents/patients when room change or roommate change is anticipated. Counsels regarding change and follows-up as necessary. Documents resident/patient response.
7. Assesses the social, emotional, and spirituals needs of the residents/patients and ensures that the social services intervention is a part of the resident’s/patient’s Plan of Care. Ensures that required social services interventions, as identified in each resident/patient Plan of Care are provided either directly through the department or through outside referrals.
8. Ensures that assessments are initiated and completed according to the resident’s/patient’s Level of Care, as required.
9. Monitors and collaborates with outside agencies to ensure quality interventions and communicates these interventions and outcomes to the team through the appropriate Clinical Meeting and as required.
10. Actively participates in the daily Clinical Operations Meeting. Explains Plan of Care process and introduces applicable Interdisciplinary Team members to the residents/patients and/or families.
11. Informs residents/patients and/or families of the date and time of Resident/Patient and/or Family conferences. Attends and participates in the Plan of Care meetings with emphasis on medically related social services including Discharge Planning.
12. Ensures that realistic projected discharge dates are established and reviewed at each appropriate Clinical Meeting. Maintains a calendar to manage discharges and minimize unnecessary resource demands on any individual day. Communicates all established discharge dates. Develops and maintains resources for discharge planning information.
13. Refers residents/patients to appropriate agencies when discharge is anticipated. Writes a discharge summary, as required. Follows up with resident/patient/family after discharge.
14. Serves as primary resident/patient/family liaison regarding communication and development of interdisciplinary treatment and/or discharge plan.
15. Develops a Family Council and coordinates the meetings. Encourages and assists families in organizing a Family Council. Initiates family support meetings and records and signs minutes.
16. *Attends and participates in in-service classes, performance improvement (“PI”) committees, and other meetings as assigned and annually conducts at least one in-services designed to increase the facility staff’s awareness of the social and emotional needs of the residents/patients.
17. *Complies with laws and regulations applicable to position and acts in accordance with Extendicare Health Services, Inc.’s Corporate Compliance Program.
• Follows facility dress and hygiene policies.
• Knows and follows facility rules.
• *Demonstrates proper use of equipment. Reports equipment needs or repairs.
• Follows facility smoking policies.
• Reports and documents any incidents or accidents of residents, staff or visitors to the appropriate facility personnel.
• Reports all hazardous conditions/equipment to Supervisor.
• *Performs duties, which may include transportation of residents, as assigned in Facility Disaster Plan.
• Uses required protective equipment.
• Follows infection control standards, policies and procedures.
19. Resident Rights
• Knows Resident Rights. Helps the residents/patients exercise and/or protect their rights.
• Reports resident/patients complaints to management.
• Maintains confidentiality of resident/patient information.
• Follows and adheres to Extendicare’s policies and procedures implementing HIPAA requirements for the privacy and security of protected health information.
• Uses and/or discloses only minimum amount of Protected Health Information necessary to complete assigned tasks. (Applies only if position requires access to PHI under Role Based Access Grid.)
• Reports all suspected violation of company’s HIPAA policies or procedures to Facility Privacy Designee.
• Treats all residents, visitors, and staff with courtesy.
• *Handles admission inquires and facility tours when needed.
• *Assists with special facility programs and events.
• Participates in committees as assigned.
• Speaks to outside groups to provide information regarding the nursing home and its services.
• Functions as resident/patient advocate for resident/patient rights and resident/patient concern program.
• Assists in the development and revision of Standards of Practice relating to social services.
• *Participates in all-hands dining.
• *Participates in marketing events.
• Participates in professional functions, organizations, and groups.
• Reviews the Social Services Manual at least annually.
• Assists in execution of Advance Directives, when appropriate.
• Visits hospital discharge planners, as appropriate.
• *Performs other duties as directed by facility management.
• *Works overtime, holiday and weekend hours as scheduled.
Education: In facilities with more than 120 beds, bachelor's degree in social work or a bachelor's degree in a human services field including, but not limited to: sociology, special education, rehabilitation counseling, and psychology; and one year of supervised social work experience in a health care setting, working directly with individuals (or degree as required by state law). In facilities of less than 120 beds, bachelor’s degree preferred.
Experience: Prior experience in long-term care of working with the elderly preferred.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities: Ability to plan and adapt policies and procedures relating to the social service department. Strong organizational skills. Demonstrate integrity, imagination and initiative, showing appropriate manner and conduct. Ability to relate positively, effectively and appropriately with residents, families, community members, volunteers and other facility staff. Possess special interest in, and a positive attitude about, working with long-term care residents and the elderly. Ability to read, write, speak, and understand English. Meets all health requirements, as required by law.
If you can hear yourself saying one of the following:
"Helping People Live Better."
"Revolutionizing Post-Acute Therapy."
A challenging and exciting career at Extendicare, ProStep or VCPI awaits you. We value our customers and our teams who care for them. We are enthusiastic about helping others by providing quality care, rehabilitation and IT services. If you are interested in a rewarding career, passionate staff, and a diverse team apply
ProStep Rehabilitation - 20 months ago
copy to clipboard
Extendicare Health Services, Inc. (EHSI) prides itself on helping people live better, by providing comprehensive nursing, therapeutic and...