Provide your personal attention and kindness, professional insight, and a generosity of spirit. Offer expertise and encouragement. Enhance each patient’s future—as well as your own.
Connect with your goals and change lives
with Fresenius Medical Care North America.
Here, we make connections that empower patients, their families, and our team members. As the global leader in dialysis healthcare, we form bonds that enable the best possible outcomes and professional satisfaction. While our extensive organization continues to grow, so do opportunities for our professionals to learn, grow, and advance.
Why Join the Fresenius Team?
Passion. Dedication. Knowledge. Motivation. Experience. These are the impressive qualities you’ll find in the Fresenius Leadership Team. Our strength in the North American market and extensive global network provide our employees with the best of both worlds—the friendliness of a local organization and the stability of a worldwide organization—for diverse experiences and challenging career opportunities. When you join the Fresenius Medical Care team, you’ll be welcomed into a company that is built on the philosophy that our employees are our most important asset. Our career advantages include the following:
- Fresenius Medical Care is the nation’s largest provider of renal care, meeting the needs of more than 135,000 patients at 1,800 clinics throughout the country.
- Our well-established, trusted organization fosters a spirit of camaraderie, emphasizing friendly collaboration, professional support, and career development.
- Superior training, UltraCare ® quality control, and certification procedures ensure your potential to succeed and advance as a professional.
- Competitive compensation and exceptional benefits.
- Outstanding tuition reimbursement program.
- Recognized among Fortune’s “World’s Most Admired Companies” in 2011.
- National Safety Award from CNA insurance companies for 11 consecutive years.
- Opportunities to give back by participating in philanthropy and community outreach programs.
Make the most of this exceptional opportunity to help others with a leader in the healthcare industry. Following the Social Work Theory of Human Behavior and accepted methods of practice, the professional we select will provide psychosocial services and counseling to in-center and home dialysis patients. Working with patients, families, and our multidisciplinary team, this individual will assess psychosocial status, strengths and areas of need, and promote positive adjustment and rehabilitation to improve the quality of life.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
Supports FMCNA’s mission, vision, core values and customer service philosophy. Adheres to the FMCNA Compliance Program, including following all regulatory and FMS policy requirements.
Provides psychosocial services to patients treated by the facility including in-center and home dialysis patients (if applicable) utilizing Social Work Theory of Human Behavior and accepted methods of social work practice. Works with the health care team to promote positive adjustment, rehabilitation and improved quality of life for our patients. In collaboration with the multidisciplinary team, informs, trains and supports staff in understanding the emotional, psychological and behavioral impact of Chronic Kidney Disease on the patient and family to ensure comprehensive quality care of our patients. Supports the FMCNA commitment to the Quality Enhancement Program (QEP) and Quality Assessment and Improvement (QAI) Activities, including those related to patient satisfaction and quality of life and actively participates in process improvement activities that enhance the likelihood that patients will achieve the FMCNA QEP Goals (QEP). Adheres to all requirements of the FMCNA Compliance Program, and all FMS policy requirements.
DUTIES / ACTIVITIES :
- Responsible for driving the FMS culture through values and customer service standards.
- Accountable for outstanding customer service to all external and internal customers.
- Develops and maintains effective relationships through effective and timely communication.
- Takes initiative and action to respond, resolve and follow up regarding customer service issues with all customers in a timely manner.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Patient Assessment/Care Planning/ Counseling:
- As a member of the multidisciplinary team, assesses patients’ psychosocial status, strengths and areas of need that may affect rehabilitation and optimal treatment outcomes as part of the comprehensive patient assessment.
- Participates in care planning in collaboration with the patient and healthcare team to identify effective interventions that will help the patient meet rehabilitation and treatment goals, improve quality of life.
- Utilizes FMS UltraCare patient education programs, established social work theory and methods and quality of life measurement instruments as part of assessment and care planning to resolve barriers and meet patient treatment goals.
- Provides established outcomes driven psycho-educational counseling methods aimed at improving areas of need, treatment adherence, vocational/educational rehabilitation and/or quality of life.
- Provides supportive and goal directed counseling to patients who are seeking transplant.
- Assesses patient awareness of advance directives; assists with accessing advance directive forms/information and facilitates discussion of advance directive wishes, if necessary, with the healthcare team and the patient’s family/support persons.
- In collaboration with the physician and nurse, facilitates the discussion of patient DNR status in the facility to ensure patient understanding and informed decision making.
- Provides information and assists the team and patient with referral to community resources (home health services, vocational rehabilitation, etc.) to facilitate optimal treatment outcomes.
- Assesses patient knowledge of kidney disease for barriers that may affect adherence to treatment. Works with patient, family and health care team to provide education tailored to the patient’s learning style and needs.
- With other members of the interdisciplinary team and TOP (Treatment Options Program), provides appropriate information about all treatment modalities. Within the social work scope of practice, collaborates with the interdisciplinary team and transplant center to refer and track patient transplant referrals.
- Provides ongoing education to patient/family regarding psychosocial issues related to End Stage Renal Disease (ESRD) and all support services that are available.
- Reviews patient rights and responsibilities, grievance information (company and network) and other facility policies with patient and/or the patients’ representative to ensure patients’ understanding of their rights and expectations of them.
- Collaborates with the team on appropriate QAI activities.
- Understands the referral and admission process and works with Central Local Intake Process (CLIP) office staff, the Clinical Manager and facility team regarding patient needs for scheduling to maximize adherence and adjustment.
- Collaborates with facility team to ensure that all required admission documentation is prepared and forwarded to the Billing Department for processing.
Insurance and Financial Assistance:
- Collaborates with facility management, Financial Coordinators and Billing Group staff to address patient issues related to insurance.
- Provides information and education to patients about payment for dialysis services (federal, state, commercial insurance, state renal programs, AKF HIPP and entitlement programs).
- Maintains current knowledge regarding local vocational/educational rehabilitation programs and assists patients with referral and access to vocational rehabilitation to enable them to remain employed, become employed or receive education.
- Completes Medicare Secondary Payor Questionnaire (MSPQ) with patients upon admission. Reassesses patient demographic and insurance information changes every quarter. Notifies all appropriate departments of changes.
- Understands FMCNA financial policies and procedures as they relate to patient services. Educates patients about programs that may be available to assist with uncovered services, how to resolve billing concerns, and understand their financial responsibilities.
- Assists with the interview process and decision to hire new personnel if requested by CM or AM.
- Provides oversight to administrative support staff delegated by CM to assist the MSW with patient concrete needs (e.g. maintain updated list of transportation resources, ensure understanding transient arrangement procedure for patients who travel).
- Develops and provides training to staff pertaining to psychosocial topics as needed. Trains staff in UltraCare Programs as needed.
- Collaborates with renal team to ensure environmental integrity and aesthetics are maintained and that all work areas are safe and clean.
- Actively participates in ongoing education opportunities and shares relevant information with the renal team to enhance team skill in working with ESRD patients.
- Provides training to outside agencies as appropriate.
- Other duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Day to day work includes desk and personal computer work and interaction with patients, facility staff and physicians.The position requires travel between assigned facilities and various locations within the community.Travel to regional, Business Unit and Corporate meetings may be required.
The work environment is characteristic of a health care facility with air temperature control and moderate noise levels. May be exposed to infectious and contagious diseases/materials.
- Master's Degree in Social Work with a concentration in clinical practice from a school of Social Work accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Current state licensure or appropriate certification/registration by the state if required in order to practice social work or be called a Social Worker.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- Experience with renal patients or other physically ill population preferred.
Demonstrated leadership competencies and skills for the position, including:
- Excellent communication skills – verbal and written,
- Excellent customer service,
- Practices continuous quality improvement,
- Good relationship development skills,
- Results oriented,
- Team building skills and
- Sound decision making.
Fresenius Medical Care - 23 months ago
copy to clipboard -
Case Manager - Social Worker
Indian River Medical Center
Vero Beach, FL
Indian River Medical Center
- 3 days ago
CASE COORDINATOR I
PeopleFirst Florida HR
Saint Lucie, FL
PeopleFirst Florida HR
- 23 hours ago
Systemwide - Martin & St. Lucie Counties
Port Saint Lucie, FL
Martin Health System
- 19 days ago
Fresenius Medical Care North America (FMCNA) operates a network of more than 1,800 dialysis clinics located throughout the US. One of the...