Do you get excited about developing software to solve problems? Do you have a desire to see your work provide safe transportation to hundreds of thousands of students across the nation, and globe? Do you want to help come up with new ideas to analyze and collect data to optimize resources used by school systems? Do you find yourself writing code on your own to learn new technologies and solve your own issues? Come join our team and help shape the future!
We have a dynamic development environment with opportunities at all levels to provide input on design and architecture. As a member of our development team you will have the opportunity to develop applications that range in technology from desktop applications performing complex data collection, analysis, mapping and routing algorithms; web based HTML5 applications in dynamic scaling environments using cloud technology; and mobile applications.
The Software Developer will have responsibility to code software applications to adhere to designs supporting internal business requirements or those of external customers. This individual will work closely with quality assurance to ensure that all quality assurance procedures are followed as an integral part of the software development life cycle. This individual will have an in-depth understanding of the software development life cycle. They will need to stay current in the latest application development methodologies and tools.
Qualifications and Requirements
- Develop new features and support existing features in Visual Basic (preferred) or C# .NET, Silverlight, XAML, and web services (RESTful and/or SOAP).
- Support of legacy code in Visual Basic 6 may be required.
- Code, test, debug, implement, and document highly complex programs.
- Designs systems and programs to meet highly complex business needs. Prepares detailed specifications from which programs are developed and coded.
- Creates appropriate documentation in work assignments such as program code, and technical documentation.
- Gathers information from existing systems, analyzes program and time requirements.
- Assists Development Manager in preparing time estimates and justification for assigned tasks.
- Supports Transfinder personnel in resolving fairly complex program problems.
- Works with client and management to resolve issues and validate programming requirements within their areas of responsibility.
- Provides technical advice on complex programming.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Three or more years of programming or testing experience
- Experience working with appropriate programming languages, operating systems and software
- Intermediate to advanced-level experience working with relational databases to facilitate programming software (SQL Server, MySQL, Oracle)
- Strong skills in programming
- Working knowledge of Object-Oriented Programming principles
- Strong personal computer and business solutions software skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills for design, creation and testing of programs
- Good interpersonal skills to interact with customers and team members
- Good communication skills to work effectively with team members, support personnel, and clients
- Ability to work as part of team and independently
- Development experience with Mapinfo or other GIS products is a plus
- Experience in the Requirements, Design, Coding, Unit/Integration Test lifecycle phases is preferred
- Experience coding in a team environment using a revision/source control system such as Subversion is desirable