Responsible for top-level software application design, development and maintenance. Provide technical leadership for complex projects. Devise or modify procedures to solve complex problems considering computer equipment capacity and limitations, operating time and form of desired results. Responsible for program design and specification, coding, testing, debugging and documentation. May be responsible for multiple phases of a project and system quality assurance.
Ensure a commitment to safety through consistent and professional behaviors in performance of job requirements that demonstrate safety is a fundamental value that guides all aspects of our work. Perform related duties as required.
1. Perform and document product feasibility studies, evaluate alternatives, and recommend optimum solutions within documented constraints.
2. Develop detailed system design specifications and database schemas based on comprehensive understanding of the customer’s business and information requirements.
3. Develop detailed program design documentation from system specifications. Code, test, debug and document programs using agency standard high-level tools and procedures. Plan and coordinate unit and system testing and implementation.
Establish system security and audit procedures. Prepare system and user documentation manuals.
4. Apply sound project management guidelines to insure the accurate and timely completion of assigned tasks and projects.
5. Responsible for one or more major business application systems including ongoing customer and technical support. Gather and analyze information for correcting or improving systems. Make appropriate changes to insure the ongoing operational integrity of the system.
6. Coordinate with customer and Information Technology management to establish resource levels and priorities to insure appropriate levels of product and customer support are in place.
7. Assist in installation and maintenance of purchased applications software. Include analysis, planning, product review, evaluation, installation, modification, testing, documentation and user training.
8. Fulfill administrative reporting requirements through communication of project plans and project status reports.
Bachelor's degree in computer science, or related technical field.
Minimum six years of experience working in an Information Technology group or R&D software lab, with four or more years in a software development capacity. Additional experience may be substituted for the education requirement.
Intermediate skills with Word, Excel, Outlook, database applications and other software applications.
Or any equivalent combination of experience and training.
1. Knowledge of project management tools and techniques.
2. Knowledge of transit business and operational systems.
3. Practical knowledge of structured program development techniques.
4. Knowledge of standard operating environments: UNIX/Linux, Windows.
5. Knowledge of network and database technologies and protocols: TCP/IP, JDBC.
6. Skilled in Object-Oriented technology theory, design, and development.
7. Demonstrated skill and ability in all phases of the automated systems development life cycle, with emphasis on definition of customer requirements and program design, development and documentation.
8. Demonstrated skill and ability to develop computer systems and programs using traditional and modern development tools: Python/Pyramid, css, SQL, SQLAlchemy, Java, AJAX/Java Script, HTML, Tomcat, Eclipse.
9. Demonstrated skill and ability in Relational Database technology theory, design, development, and access using SQL with an industry standard RDBMS: Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL, PostgreSQL.
10. Demonstrated skill in application development in mobile and web-based frameworks, e.g., Pylon/Pyramid.
11. Demonstrated skill using source code repositories, e.g., Mercurial, Subversion, Git.
12. Demonstrated skill in geospatial technologies such as GeoServer, OpenLayers, PostGIS.
13. Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, management and the general public, including those from culturally diverse backgrounds, the elderly, persons with disabilities and/or other vulnerable populations.
14. Demonstrated ability in written and oral communications. Ability to communicate effectively, and work independently as well as as a member of a software development team. Ability to work with all levels of staff in the organizational structure.
15. Ability to operate personal computer systems including Word, Excel and Outlook. Demonstrated proficiency to accurately keyboard (type).
Type of Position/Grade/FLSA:
Non-Union, Grade 16, Exempt Selection Process - Candidates will be selected based at a minimum on the result of:
1. Resume & Cover Letter
2. Application Review
3. Supplemental Assessments
4. Panel Interview
5. Background Check: Criminal, References & Degree Verification
It is your responsibility, and to your benefit, to describe in detail how your education, training and work experience meet the requirements of the position for which you are applying. If applicable, please provide at least ten years of your work history, including any volunteer and internship experience you may have. You are encouraged to attach a resume, cover letter, training certificates and letters of recommendation with your application.
Online applications are permitted five attachments; however each attachment is limited to 5MB. Please include your attachments in the "Resume Attachment" section (please try to combine documents as much as possible). A second option for attaching multiple documents is to send them to email@example.com and we will attach them to your online application. You may also fax your materials to 503-962-3477 or 503-962-7440. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Resumes will not be considered in lieu of a completed application.
To apply, please visit our website at http://trimet.org/careers.
We regret that due to the high volume of applications we receive, we currently only contact applicants who are highly qualified and most closely match our job requirements.
Internal applicants: Information in your personnel file will not be used in lieu of information requested on your application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
If you are a qualified veteran and would like to apply for veterans' preference points, you will need to reflect your status on the application and submit supporting documentation with your application by the closing date of this recruitment. Documentation must be attached to your application.
Persons needing an accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act for any part of the application process should contact TriMet Human Resources staff at 503-962-7505, or the TTY line at 503-962-5811. A minimum of two workdays notice prior to the need for accommodation is required.
TriMet is an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing an organization that is reflective of and sensitive to the needs of the diverse community we serve, including the elderly and persons with disabilities