Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile devices like the Kindle family of products. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc. Since then, we have worked to produce best-selling tablets with breakthrough hardware technology as well as e-readers that have revolutionized reading. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
As a Software Development Manager, you will be responsible for leading a team of engineers in design, development, test, and deployment of a range of products on mobile platforms. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast-paced environment. You will be helping to hire and build your team and systems.
You will be a strong leader who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, with a consistent track record of delivery. In this role, you will:
- Be responsible for the overall systems development life cycle of a key product subsystem
- Manage and execute against project plans and delivery commitments
- Manage the day-to-day activities of the engineering team of engineers within an Agile/Scrum environment
- Manage of departmental resources, staffing, mentoring, and enhancing and maintaining a best-of-class engineering team
- Work closely with the engineers to architect and develop the best technical design and approach
- Report on status of development, quality, operations, and system performance to management
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related field
- Experience in Computer Science fundamentals
- 7+ years of experience building production software systems
- 2+ years of people management experience
- Experience working with networking or communications devices in an embedded environment
- Master’s degree
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- The ability to take raw product requirements and develop software architectures and designs to bring them to life
- Experience porting firmware to new hardware platforms and integrating new hardware capabilities
- Extensive knowledge of the Linux kernel and experience adding new hardware drivers
- Mastery of the tools of the trade, including a variety of modern programming languages (Java, C/C++, Objective C, Python) and open-source technologies (Linux, SQLite, OpenGL, busybox)
- Development experience on mobile platforms such as Google Android, WebOS, Windows Mobile, Apple iPhone and RIM Blackberry.
- Excellence in technical communication with peers and non-technical colleagues
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A strong track record of project delivery for large, cross-functional, projects
- Strong business and technical vision
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer-Minority/Female/Disability/Vet
Lab126 - 12 months ago