Livescribe is a privately held, venture-funded, consumer-electronics company that is blazing new trails in the area of digital speech and handwriting and is changing the way people write, learn and communicate. Livescribe products enable consumers to capture handwriting and speech, integrate them as one interactive medium, and share the result with other people, applications or services – directly from pen, paper or tablet, to the Web or other Internet-connected devices.
Reporting into Livescribe’s Director of Web Services, this role will contribute to the design and development of a web platform that will help to propel Livescribe products into the mobile Internet, make Livescribe content accessible to more devices, integrate with key partners in the cloud, and allow Livescribe services to scale with rapid growth in users.
We are seeking an individual with exceptional engineering delivery capability that has a proven track record of writing high quality, high performance code on open systems platforms and has a passion for working in highly collaborative Agile teams. Also, a good sense of humor, sense of adventure and someone who loves a good Tiki drink now and again would be great!
The following job description is a basic outline of responsibilities and requirements; salary, title and responsibilities are based on experience.
- Provide “hands on” technical contribution to Livescribe’s web services team.
- Contribute to the development of a web services platform design, which can scale to service millions of Livescribe products creating and uploading content for storage, indexing and access by multiple clients and third party web applications.
- Apply your broad knowledge of object oriented technologies and designs in the development of scalable and flexible web services, architectures and APIs.
- Demonstrate technical and execution competence and an ability to “own” complex projects from early stage design through development and deployment.
- Collaborate effectively with cross-functional product teams to engage their support on project delivery and to ensure high quality results are delivered into production.
- Ensure robustness and correctness of the system by applying best test practices and by promoting the use of those practices within the broader engineering team.
- Help the team to drive the analysis and resolution of key quality issues and performance problems impacting design and production.
Nice To Have:
- B.S. degree in Computer Science or related discipline
- 5 to 7 years experience in developing web services for production systems
- Deep understanding of J2EE technology; experience with XML-RPC/SOAP/REST
- Experience within an Agile team delivering at least two commercial product releases
- Good understanding of open source technologies such as Spring, Hibernate, Apache, Maven, Ant, Eclipse, etc.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills, especially in multilayered application stacks
- Ability to work collaboratively and effectively with cross-functional teams
Compensation packages include competitive salaries and stock incentives. We are headquartered in Oakland, CA with easy access from 880 and a free shuttle from BART. Qualified candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States.
- Apache Web Server administration
- WebObjects/Tapestry Framework