Job Title: Software Engineer (Application Development Engineering Specialist)
Job ID: 04027
Division : Information Services
Work Location(s): United States-Wisconsin-Madison
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
Depending on qualifications, candidates can be considered at the Senior Engineer level.
The Application Development Engineering Specialist is responsible for software design and development for complex and/or large-scale business solutions. Analyzes system problems and recommends alternatives for resolution. Provides technical guidance and leadership to less experienced technologists. The specialist performs various roles in the development of applications in any phase of the systems development life cycle. They may work in a mainframe, client-server, business intelligence and/or web environment.
- Application Development (40%)
- Provides expertise during the initial phases of the project including estimating resources, skill requirements, time requirements, identifying tools and technologies, participating in proof of concepts, etc.
- Analyzes high level system specifications, business requirements and/or use cases. Converts information into the appropriate level specifications and system design plan for the development team. Designs and develops complex software solutions in adherence with I/S standards, methodology and internal controls. Identifies and provides solution alternatives for the defined functional and system requirements when needed.
- Understands and identifies system dependencies.
- Consults with others to validate complex design decisions. Provides advanced coding expertise to mitigate high risk features or technical challenges.
- Provides appropriate documentation for design decisions, estimating assumptions, code modules, and performance metrics as required by organization standards.
- Defines, conducts, mentors others, and/or participates in testing (i.e. unit, system integration). Prepares, leads and/or participates in development walkthroughs.
- Collaborates with others regarding effectiveness of systems flow, data usage and manual or automated processes to verify requirements.
- Ensures software development meets standards for programming, design, performance, and security. Identifies and recommends areas for improvement in planning, design, development, and testing.
- Technical Leadership (35%)
- Provides accurate estimates of object(s) size and work effort for software solutions to assigned specifications as an input to work planning. Assists less experienced technologists with estimation.
- Assists and holds others accountable for their commitments. Takes accountability for team deliverables and overall team success; manages own tasks.
- Recognizes and escalates quality, deadline, or deliverable issues within own work environment to team leads and/or management.
- Ensures effective integration and communication between multiple development teams with interdependencies.
- Leads and/or participates in systems analysis, general systems design, specification development for vendor contracts, and detailed systems design as needed based on expertise.
- Provides technical leadership in the ongoing adoption and development of software engineering procedures, standards and methods.
- Makes recommendations and presentations to senior management regarding technical issues, technical investments, and strategic directions.
- Drives initiatives to adopt new processes and standards
- Maintenance & Support (25%)
- Provides second level support and off hour on-call on a rotating basis and as needed.
- Repairs, modifies, and develops additional functionality.
- Follows and supports change management practices and internal controls standards. Communicates changes and impact to those affected. Assists less experienced technologists in all areas of maintenance and communication.
- Shares knowledge and information with others to resolve problems and build team knowledge.
- Identifies enhancements to meet changing data requirements, usability, interfaces and future maintainability of software.
- Assists with creation and maintenance of service desk diagnostics and job aids for area of responsibility. Updates and/or reviews with those affected.
- Performs and/or partners with I/S colleagues to conduct performance tuning to ensure applications meet service level agreements.
- Provides input for contingency and disaster recovery plans.
- Achieve Results
- Be Accountable
- Maximize Customer Experience
- Conceptual Thinking
- Concern for Quality
- Technical Expertise
Specialized Knowledge and Skills Requirements
- Demonstrated experience estimating project size and work efforts for software solutions.
- Demonstrated experience providing technical guidance and leadership to less experienced programmers.
- Demonstrated experience with design patterns, object diagrams, and modeling methodologies (i.e. universal modeling language, UML).
- Demonstrated experience with multi-tiered enterprise software application design and development.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of software development and design in a variety of computing platforms.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of the syntax, structure, features and facilities of more than one programming language.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of systems development life cycle (SDLC).
- Solid knowledge and understanding of project management methodologies, practices, techniques and tools.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of application architecture, design alternatives, and development standards.
- Solid knowledge and understanding of software tools, techniques, and practices for protecting the integrity of corporate data.
- Solid Knowledge and understanding of integration and migration strategies and technologies.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes health, life and dental insurance, a 401(K) plan, paid holidays, vacation and sick leave and the opportunity for career development. If you would like to put your career in motion apply online today!
A career move to join American Family Insurance may also mean a physical move for you. If you are selected for an interview, information will be provided on the level of relocation assistance available during the interview.
Offer to selected candidate will be made contingent on the results of background checks.
Please review the job requirements.
American Family Insurance offers auto, home, life & annuities, health, business and farm & ranch insurance. We’ve expanded geographically,...