The Software Engineer II’s role is to analyze, develop and test applications used by the business to support enterprise-wide needs. This includes researching, performing impact change analysis, providing work estimates, documenting and maintaining software changes.
The ideal candidate should have a solid foundation in custom software development in an IT environment. In addition to possessing a solid technical foundation, this person must be able to demonstrate the ability to collaborate with others on solutions and assist in software development.
Some of the applications Internal Systems is responsible for include:
- Campus Community - Provides product documentation, training resources, discussion forums and support request management for our customers
- CampusID - A web-based identity management and authentication system used by our customers and parrtners.
- Campus Digital Respository - Allows our customers to share content including documents and videos with others in their district. This service leverages Hadoop's Distributed File System (HDFS).
- Custom plugins and integrations for Atlassian tools (JIRA, Confluence)
- Corporate Web Sites
- Create technical requirements and solution designs, working with other team members and business users
- Provide assessment of technical impact of project and enhancement requests
- Develop software to meet business requirements
- Perform unit and integration testing, participate in design and code reviews
- Manage deployment packages and application changes
- Assist in project management by:
- Providing time estimates and accurately tracking time for assigned project tasks
- Effectively communicating the status of projects and assignments
- Escalating issues to project manager and management where appropriate
- Address issues related to system stability, scalability, performance and security
- Create and maintain documentation for applications/systems
- Collaborative, motivated, and self-directed with a strong preference to work in a team environment yet able to work on projects independently as needed
- Organized and goal oriented with the ability to handle multiple assignments simultaneously.
- Ability to master a solid understanding of the company’s architecture and business goals
- Analytical and detail oriented with strong technical problem analysis and resolution skills.
- Adheres to best practices as defined by the company and by generally understood industry standards.
- Keeps up with emerging software development standards and applies such standards to work
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent
- 5 years of software development experience, preferably in an enterprise environment
- Experience with web technologies and libraries including Java Servlets, JSPs, Spring Framework, Struts 2 and jQuery
- Experience with PostgreSQL, MS SQL Server and MySQL databases
- Experience administering and configuring web application servers including Tomcat and Apache HTTP running on Linux
- Understanding of RESTful web services and familiarity with a service-oriented architecture (SOA)
- Experience developing using IDEs (Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA), version control systems (Git) and build automation tools (Maven)
- Experience with billing, human resources, enterprise resource planning (ERP), content management and reporting systems are a plus
- Experience with applications such as Atlassian JIRA, Confluence, ExpressionEngine, SugarCRM are a plus
*If position performs job responsibilities directly for the Bureau of Indian Education (BIE) contracts, employee is required to pass a specified background screening; meeting the requirements of the BIE.