The New York Times is looking for a creative and talented software engineer to help create and maintain internal video production and workflow applications used at the New York Times. We are looking for an experienced software engineer with a solid background in video post-production. The candidate should be highly motivated, well balanced individual that has a strong development background and experience supporting a video infrastructure and user base.
As a software developer, you should be able to work independently and build an application from scratch as readily as build upon and improve an existing application. In this role, you will be exposed to various parts of the organization, working with other software engineers, video producers, editors and other end users, technical and nontechnical. You will also be directly involved in the support of video servers, workstations, storage, networks.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- A solid understanding of web application architecture, object oriented software, and design patterns.
- 2+ years experience working in and around a video production environment
- Understanding of encoding technologies and video formats.
- Familiarity of video editing suites such Final Cut Pro or Adobe Premiere.
- Hardware support experience with shared storage such as Xsan, EMC, Active Storage or Isilon.
- Strong Unix/Linux/Mac OS X background.
- Experience with relational databases such as MySql, SqlServer or Oracle. MySql preferably.
- Working knowledge of build and deploy tools such as Capistrano, Jenkins or equivalent.
- Experience with various source control tools (i.e. SVN, Git, CVS)
- Strong communication skills and willingness to collaborate with end users and iterate software designs based on feedback.
- Familiarity with structured data formats (XML, JSON, etc.) and their related tools and technologies.
The ideal candidate will:
- Experience supporting mission critical systems and applications
- DAM or MAM experience with a leading product, such as Final Cut Server, Reach Engine by Levels Beyond, CatDV or Media Beacon.
- Familiarity with Agile methodologies.
- Experience with content management systems and workflow automation.
- Experience with Java and open source Java frameworks, such as Hibernate, Spring, and Struts.
- Understanding of Web Services: REST & Soap and related frameworks.
- Experience with search engines such as Sphinx, Lucene, Fast, etc
- Be passionate about building great software
- Have solid experience supporting critical hardware and software
- Have big picture sense and strong diagnostic skills
- Have experience engaging in rapid prototyping and iterative product development
- Be nimble and flexible enough to thrive in a rapidly evolving business environment
- Have big thoughts and the courage to voice them
- Have enthusiasm for emerging technologies
The New York Times Company, a leading global, multimedia news and information company with 2011 revenues of $2.3 billion, includes The New York Times, the International Herald Tribune, The Boston Globe, NYTimes.com, BostonGlobe.com, Boston.com and related properties. The Company’s core purpose is to enhance society by creating, collecting and distributing high-quality news, information and entertainment.
The New York Times Company is an equal employment opportunity employer, and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, national origin, citizenship or any other protected characteristic. The New York Times Company is committed to diversity in its most inclusive sense.
The New York Times Company - 22 months ago