The Office of Information Technology at Ohio University invites applications for a Software Engineer to be filled by February 4, 2013. The Software Engineer will be a key member of the Student Systems team responsible for the design, development, and delivery of small to university-wide scale software applications for student, faculty and staff at Ohio University.
This position will design and develop new software applications and create enhancements to existing software applications.
The successful candidate must be able to work individually and as a member of a team. They will analyze business and system requirements for existing and proposed software projects and maintain and debug existing software applications. Abilities to document technical specifications, communicate well with their technical peers, functional users, and management, and be able to mentor other software engineers are important.
The candidate must be familiar with standard software development lifecycle practices and adhere the practices employed by the Student Systems team at Ohio University.
EDUCATION : Bachelors or Masters degree in a Computer Science or relevant field. In lieu of a Degree, applications with 8 or more years of experience in application development will also be acceptable.
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE :
- 3+ years in overall object orientated software engineering analysis, design and development experience
- 3+ years relational databases including SQL
- 2+ years experience with Java or Groovy web-based development
- Experience with source control/version control software (e.g. SVN , Git)
- Experience eliciting software requirements from clients/customers
- Effective written and verbal communication with peers and other groups; demonstrated experience in technical documentation
- Fluency in Microsoft Office or Open Office software products (e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint in particular)
- Ability to guide, develop and train junior software engineers
- Ability to be highly organized and detail-oriented
- Ability to multi-task between multiple projects
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE :
- Web service development ( SOAP / REST )
- Oracle SQL and PL/ SQL
- Unit testing and continuous integration
- Eclipse IDE
- Experience with application servers (e.g. Tomcat, ColdFusion, WebLogic, etc.)
- PeopleSoft Campus Solutions/PeopleTools
- Higher education work environment
Ohio University - 15 months ago