Job Opening: Software Engineer
Located in the heart of Washington DC, Sentrana provides companies with predictive analytics for better sales and marketing decisions. For the past five years, we have brought our capabilities to the foodservice industry generating optimal pricing and marketing recommendations covering tens of thousands of products and hundreds of thousands of customers on a daily basis. Through our enterprise application platform MarketMover®, we help wholesale distributors and suppliers put the terabytes of data sitting in their existing systems to work with advanced analytics and a family of applications that deliver predictive insight at the moment of truth—the instant the sale is being made.
Our application suite helps companies of all sizes accurately predict and optimize the impact of their sales and marketing activities, including pricing, promotion, product mix, and other related activities. The MarketMover software platform gives clients the ability to use our advanced analytics throughout the sales process and at the crucial moment of the sale. Our software as a service (SaaS) model allows our clients to get started quickly supported by our high performance computing infrastructure and allows us to continuously improve our software without costly deployments into clients’ internal IT environment.
As a Software Engineer at Sentrana, you'll drive the development of our advanced enterprise software solutions and services. Working closely with world-class scientists, engineers, and product managers in a small team environment, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the rapidly evolving science and technology of quantitative marketing and fact-based, optimal decision making.
Our heritage is one of entrepreneurship, where individuals' innovative ideas are prized and rapidly re-shape the capabilities of large enterprises. Because you'll be on a small cross-functional team that is responsible for both business and technology decisions, you will have immediate visibility on the relationship between your efforts and the ultimate technology impact that it creates.
Your primary responsibility will be to support the development and enhancement of our products to meet new technical and performance requirements. You will be responsible for building reliable, highly maintainable, and robust application software using the best software engineering practices. At Sentrana, you will have the opportunity to work across a range of technologies including the development front-end web applications, middle-tier services, and the large-scale databases that drive business insight and advanced predictive models.
As software engineer you will be expected to:
- Act as a core team member in the development of Sentrana's technology products including:
- Working with product managers and development leads to define the overall concept for new solutions, define functional requirements, and define technical requirements.
- Developing detailed technical designs system components including the design of software and supporting database structures.
- Building the system components in accordance with Sentrana's technical and quality standards.
- Support research emerging technology as appropriate through pilot or pathfinder projects.
- Participate in rapid prototyping efforts and the development demonstration software to help refine product direction and gather user feedback.
- Be a full participant in Sentrana's product innovation by identifying and advocating for opportunities to improve our existing products or bring new products to market.
- Proficiency in the fundamentals of computer science including an understanding object-oriented analysis and design, algorithms, data structures, and complexity theory.
- An understanding of basic concepts in probability and statistics, and the ability to quickly understand and implement quantitative algorithms with guidance from senior engineers and quantitative modelers.
- Some exposure to machine learning and AI concepts and approaches.
- A record of academic achievement with a demonstrated ability to master complex subject matter in a diverse range of topic areas.
- A demonstrated ability to develop software with widely used programming languages such as Java, C, C++, or C#.
- Excellent written and verbal communications with the ability to clearly describe complex technical concepts to others.
- Experience with relational databases such as MySQL, PostgreSQL, or MS SQL Server is preferred, but not required.
- Experience working to develop software in a team environment and an understanding of how cross-team dependencies might impact the planning and execution of programming activities.
We offer a generous compensation package, including an equity stake, plus a collaborative, tier-one management team. More importantly, we provide an intellectually fertile environment for people to learn, experiment, and grow. Our work focuses on difficult problems that have no easy answers – indeed it is our pursuit and embrace of such problems that inspires the growth of our associates and our enterprise.
To apply, please submit your résumé and cover letter directly to us via email:
(Subject: Software Engineer)