As a Manager of Software Engineering you will manage professional level Engineers within the function. You direct activities of groups of Engineers focused on testing and debugging of operating systems that run NetApp storage applications. These committed teams develop enhancements to existing products, as well as develop new products. As part of the Research and Development function, the overall focus of the group is on competitive market and customer requirements, technology advances, product quality, product cost and time-to-market.
- A major part of your responsibility will be to provide direction and supervision to the group or groups of Engineers responsible for:
- Test automation
- Performance Analysis
- Critical and/or high visibility customers
- Develop and implement new projects, policies and procedures for the department(s); and ensure that project goals are met.
- Develop an annual budget collaboratively with senior management.
- Utilize previously acquired technical experience to become actively involved in day-to-day projects to meet schedules and resolve problems.
- Take responsibility for results, including costs, methods and staffing.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential.
- A clear understanding of the product development cycle, technical requirements and project management.
- A strong understanding of concepts related to computer architecture, data structures, programming practices, and operating systems.
- Experience in software development.
- Experience with developing budgets and predicting project costs.
- A demonstrated ability to manage professional level employees.
Management and Interaction:
- This position is responsible for managing many tasks within a large group or department.
- The focus of this role is on business and its implication.
- The potential impact of decisions made by this individual will be mostly operational with some financial.
- This individual will apply attained experience and knowledge to address issues that are diverse in scope, and resolve problems through short- and mid-term planning.
- This individual must work effectively with staff to vice president level employees and employees within and outside of their department and function.
- Utilizes people skills and available manager tools to positively impact the development of subordinates within their role and career.
- This individual must demonstrate favorable results through providing leadership to function and to staff.
Education and Experience
Education & Experience:
- A minimum of 8 years of experience as an individual contributor and 2 to 5 years as a people manager is required.
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering or Computer Science, a Master Degree, or a PhD; or equivalent experience is required.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple projects is required.
Full time / Part time
USA - Massachusetts - Waltham
Careers at NetApp
At NetApp, your expertise is what drives our growing success
NetApp is the ideal place to give your career a boost....