Explore Dell Storage Careers: http://jobs.dell.com/storage
This position is with the Dell Data Center Solutions (DCS) Customer Engineering Team.
The primary responsibility of this position is to manage the lifecycle of firmware used in infrastructure (chassis, racks, etc.) controllers, from design through sustaining. This engineer will be responsible for working as a member of a team of solutions and systems engineers to efficiently understand customer requirements and to participate in the design, implementation, test, and release of these products.
This individual is also expected to drive evaluation and adoption of DCS solutions within the Customer’s environment, enabling customers to integrate these infrastructure products into their operations. The measure of success for this position is DCS technology adoption within our customer base - that we are able to create products that integrate into the customer environment, and that they are able to deploy, update, and manage these systems.
Specific expectations of this position include:
- Work closely with the Architecture and Marketing teams to understand customer requirements, and to ensure that these requirements are tracked as part of the Roadmap process.
- Work with Architecture to design features and products according to customer requirements.
- Manage all software/firmware activities with internal and external development teams to track progress, prioritize tasks, and ensure quality process. Own the release process.
- Partner with Solutions and Systems Engineers to provide technical support for all customer engagements; before, during and after the sales process of these infrastructure products.
- Support the development of RFP responses for the customer, working with DCS Architecture and Program Management teams to ensure technically compliant and competitively relevant responses.
- Have deep understanding of DCS products, including devices and technologies such as server BIOS and BMC, Switches, PDUs, Serial Switches, etc., and deployment / management tools and capabilities.
- Drive the Austin Design Center and Taiwan Design Center technical product development teams to deliver the right products for the customer base, and to drive quality into the products during all phases of the product life-cycle.
- Supporting sample demand build and coordination on priorities across all DCS business bases. Sample building includes performing system concept evaluations and sample builds for the purpose of taking measurements as requested by the customer (e.g., benchmark, power measures, etc.) through delivery and support of these units.
- Coordinating with product development managers in the Taiwan Design Center and with Customer Solutions Teams to ensure that sample units provided within your base are understood, and that any additional required development engineering (new qualifications, regulatory compliance, etc…) are tracked and managed by the development managers appropriately for the timing and probability of business award.
- Providing technical support for delivery of systems to customers, including occasional technical support to factories during product builds as well as support at integration facilities to ensure systems are correctly built, integrated at the rack or container level, and configured prior to deployment to customers. In this function, participate as a member of the Customer Solutions Teams related to your business base.
- Supporting Customer Engineering teams and the Sales team to ensure that field operations are meeting the customer expectation. Support for this may include on-site support as required in addition to providing technical direction to services on periodic platform updates and service actions. In this function, attend the DCS Services Core team meeting.
- Strong experience in embedded development of server control and management systems; deep understanding of Linux; and strong working understanding of BIOS/BMC Firmware.
- Knowledge of IPMI standards is required.
- Ability to develop scripts to support testing and deployment activities in different environments.
- Strong ability in organizing and managing multiple projects, tasks and changing priorities.
- Working independently under aggressive timelines.
- Ability to write and analyze requirements, functional specifications, design specifications, test plans, and other technical documentation.
- Advanced knowledge of server and storage hardware systems.
- Working ability to drive cross-functional development efforts through conception, planning, implementation, and sustaining.
- Thorough understanding of appropriate technologies, vendor products, and competitor's offerings.
- Ability to analyze options for critical design elements and features and determines optimum selection.
- Thorough ability to identify potential product weakness and be able to provide design guidance and recommendations for improvements to subsequent redesigns.
- Working insight and skill to effectively manage cultural differences.
- Eight+ years of experience. With BSEE, BSCS, or equivalent degree.
Life At Dell
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
Dell - 2 years ago
Since 1985, Dell has played a critical role in enabling more affordable and accessible technology around the world. As an end-to-end...