Solar Assessment Engineer
Scope of Position
This position is directly responsible for; module performance and reliability testing, energy and performance assessments, site assessment and PV field design, performance engineering and operational assessments, creation of new processes and procedures, and providing technical support for engineering solutions.
Reports to: Director, Solar Assessment
Division/Department: Resource Assessment Group
Location: San Diego, CA
85% of the time is spent in the office environment, utilizing computers, phones, and general office equipment. 15% of the time is spent in the field conducting site visits.
• Design, implement, and coordinate the PV module qualification and quality control testing program, including lot acceptance tests and module characterization to test the module’s performance and reliability as per IEC and UL standards.
• Develop test flows as per IEC and UL standards and write detailed scope of work for the module testing program. Review test data and results. This includes vendor management and interface.
• Review and analyze IEC and UL third party certification reports from the module manufacturers and clearly differentiate product quality between vendors.
• Work with PV module manufacturers and inverter manufacturers to identify suitable technology types for solar projects. Support due diligence process.
• Perform solar resource and site assessments, including calculation of the solar resource, energy production estimations and performance yields, internal and external shading, system distribution losses, plant availability, climate variability, and uncertainty analysis.
• Analyze, evaluate, and report project production estimations and performance characteristics for all phases of the project lifecycle, including cross-technology comparisons.
• Perform detailed studies and data analysis of modeling techniques, operational assessments, and engineering concepts. Derive and create new methodologies, processes and procedures to enhance the assessment and engineering functions.
• Develop software applications & database solutions that include automation and project history for use in energy estimation and distribution to development. Responsible for creating/updating tools, software applications and databases to make the day-to-day job functions streamlined and efficient.
• Utilize industry-standard modeling software and apply engineering technical appendices to provide production and performance estimates for potential and operational projects.
• Design, prepare and modify project site designs/layouts using industry-standard software while applying engineering principles, design appendices, and assessment methodologies.
• Analyze plant performance data and compare it to predicted performance estimates, predicted module parameters, and predicted module behavior.
• Responsible for the design, siting, installation, commissioning, modification, and upkeep of development solar meteorological stations & equipment.
• Analyze publically available and on-site meteorological data to identify, evaluate and define the solar resource for future and/or current solar projects. This includes data collection, cleaning, analysis, and correlation of long term solar satellite data and on-site meteorological data.
• Continuously improve data collection, analysis and reporting, while focusing on reliability and accuracy of data.
• Support Project Managers and Developers with the preparation of Requests for Proposals (RFPs), including time of day charts and design optimization for the lowest LCOE.
• Support key project development functions for all projects; including financial feasibility analysis, engineering/design, project legal review, etc.
• Other duties as assigned by the Director of Solar Assessment or his/her designee.
• Master of Science degree in Electrical Engineering or Industrial Engineering.
• Minimum 6 months experience with photovoltaic module construction evaluation, performance and reliability testing according to IEC 61730-1, 61730-2, 61646, 61215 and UL 1703 standards is a must.
• Programming experience with software and web based application development, and databases.
• Knowledge and experience with statistics, data analysis, and regression analysis.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
EDF Renewable Energy - 9 months ago
EDF Renewable Energy is dedicated in our efforts to create the most efficient renewable energy projects possible, for our own portfolio and...