A Solid Waste Collection Operator will perform the activities and operations of the assigned solid waste collection work group by the collection of residential, commercial, curbside recycling and bulky item refuse. Pickup of material may be by manual, semi-automated or automated methods.
- This is a one-person automated side-loader operation. Must be skilled in driving and maneuvering a large truck in tight spaces.
- Have the ability to perform heavy manual labor, and work under unfavorable weather conditions.
- Complete daily route assignments and transport refuse to the Solid Waste Transfer Station or approved disposal/recycling/composting facility as directed; assist in the forecast of equipment needs and vehicle maintenance as necessary.
- Prepare vehicle for daily operations by conducting a pre-operation inspection of the vehicle and equipment to evaluate proper working condition.
- Clean inside and outside of vehicle when needed; make minor repairs and adjustments when required; coordinate with supervisor for proper maintenance to be performed.
- Cooperate with immediate supervisors to ensure all customer service requests are resolved; respond to public inquiries in a courteous manner; provide information within the area of assignment; resolve complains in an efficient and timely manner.
Experience & Education:
Experience : 1 year of Solid Waste experience desirable. Previous truck driving experience preferred.
Education : High school diploma or G.E.D. required.
Must have a valid Class B Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with air brake endorsement.
Able to successfully pass a background investigation, pre-employment physical, drug screen, and Post-offer agility test ( lift up to 100 lbs).
Work Schedule : 7:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday - Friday with occasional Saturdays overtime as needed.
City of Olathe, KS - 15 months ago