Reports To : Associate Vice President, Enterprise Architecture
Department: Information Technology
Office Location : Charles Town, WV or Columbia, MD
FLSA Status : Exempt
Date Posted : January 11, 2013
Date Closing : Open Until Filled
Synopsis of Role:
The ideal candidate for the Solutions Architect position will have experience designing across multiple systems such as Web applications, Web services (including Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) and RESTful), Windows services, and reporting services. The Solutions Architect will work with multiple development teams using different Microsoft technologies to set architectural design and will review designs, code, and test plans to ensure the most appropriate architectural solutions are being developed. The incumbent will work on the conceptual and logical models, and will also need to be a technical expert capable of personally developing the solution. Some development work will be expected.
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
- Obtains deep understanding of the American Public University System's (APUS) development environment including the applications and interdependencies of those applications.
- Helps determine how specific technology can be applied to meet the business needs as determined by the Senior Application Architect and the Enterprise Architecture Team.
- Establishes best practices for the design, building, and support of the different applications developed.
- Raises issues where development teams may have deviated from those best practices.
- Provides mentoring and coaching in development, architecture, and relationship building skills.
- Researches and recommends frameworks or reuse patterns that can help the development department.
- Creates and reviews architecture documents, design documents, code, and test plans.
- Builds prototypes and/or assists developers with coding and troubleshooting.
- Develops solutions and contributes code as assigned.
- Contributes to best practices around continuous integration, automated testing, branching and merging, deployment, and support.
- Adheres to and promotes compliance with company build, configuration management, and data security policies and procedures, both individually and for developers and other Information Technology (IT) personnel.
- Participates in the Architecture Review Board and Change Control Process as assigned.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Standard office and data center environment in Charles Town, WV or Columbia, MD.
- Ability to lift boxes up to 50 lbs
- Core coverage hours of support are Monday-Friday 8:00am-5:00pm; some on call duties may be required.
- Strong initiative and ability to work with limited supervision and/or without direct supervision from remote locations.
- Ability to continuously learn and develop new skills to maintain technical currency.
- Ability to work independently and as a team.
- Excellent problem solving abilities.
- Strong troubleshooting skills.
- Methodical, organized and detail-oriented.
- Strong ability to work collaboratively within a team to solve problems.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field.
- Minimum ten years’ of experience in all areas of application development.
- Minimum five years’ of experience using Microsoft .NET and SQL technologies building commercial grade applications.
- Minimum three years’ experience as Senior Architect.
- Minimum five years’ industry experience with expert level skills in .NET Framework (C#/VB.NET), ASP.NET, Extensible Markup Language (XML), Web Services, service-oriented architecture (SOA), Windows Workflow Foundation (WWF), and Windows Communication Foundation (WCF).
- Extensive knowledge and experience with n-tier, enterprise-scalable, distributed application environments.
- Experience with technical documentation, including technical requirements, design, and Unified Modeling Language (UML).
- Experience developing, following, and enforcing development standards.
- Experience with source code version control – Team Foundation Server (TFS) -- and the coordination and/or synchronization of multiple active branches.
- Experience incorporating third party components and frameworks.
- Experience with the following XML technologies: XML Information Set, Extensible Stylesheet Language Transformations (XSLT), XPath, XML Document Object Model (DOM), XML Schema; Strong skills in Procedural Language/Structured Query Language (PL/SQL).
- Strong understanding of Object Oriented design (classes, constructors, interfaces, properties, methods, and events) and Namespaces.
- Experience with Microsoft Windows 2008 Server – Internet Information Services (IIS) 7, IIS Infrastructure, Network Load Balancing (NLB), Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) Infrastructure, Security, and Configuration.
- Strong understanding and experience executing several software development methodologies and life cycles.
- Experience working in a fast-paced environment.
- Experience with JAVA and Adobe CQ5 preferred.
- High availability, scalability, and performance optimization (e.g. distributed deployments, HTTP traffic Load balancing, content caching, Principal-Mirror database replication, and sharding)
- Identity and access management (Active Directory, Active Directory Federation Services (ADFS), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), OpenID, oAuth, and Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML)).
- Technical development or systems engineering qualifications, such as Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) or Solutions Developer (MCSD).
- Technical architecture qualifications, such as Microsoft Certified Architect (MCA) and Microsoft Certified Solutions Master (MCSM).
American Public University System - 13 months ago