The Sous Chef for Bon Appétit Management Company at Google is responsible for assisting in the overall success of the Café food program. This entails adhering to Google culture and guidelines, the Health Department’s regulations, and Bon Appétit’s/Google's standards of food quality, freshness and presentation. This position oversees the daily administrative and operational tasks, including financial management and analysis, sanitation and safety. In addition the Sous Chef also motivates, trains, develops and directs all employees to accomplish the objectives of the operation and maintains a positive working relationship with the Client.
Approximately 75% of time spent working in kitchen with the remaining 25% of time dedicated to administrative requirements. A minimum of 50 hours worked per week is required.
Supervision and Development of Staff
- Assist Cafe Chef de Cuisine with administrative duties including, payroll, service, human resources and all other timelines as directed by Google.
- Teach and adhere to Bon Appetit/Google philosophy, culture and commitment to quality food and exemplary service.
- Have a Passion for food and service.
- Ensure all products and purchases meet Bon Appetit/Google sustainability guidelines and food values.
- Have knowledge of and enforce the Bon Appetit/Google contractual agreement.
- Train and supervise the daily conduct of the staff.
- Supervise the adherence to proper uniform standards following the employee handbook and established account guidelines.
- Assist staff reviews, coaching sessions and disciplinary actions.
- Ensure that all training standards are met and documented for direct hires, including but not limited to F.A.C.T. Training Completion and Safety Training.
Customer Service and Client Relations
- Ensure that high quality food items are creatively well prepared and presented in a cost effective manner.
- Follow Bon Appétit/Google food standards.
- Meet and exceed the expectations of the customer and client perceived value.
- Ensure that all products and ingredients that are used are purchased following Bon Appétit/Google purchasing standards and sustainability commitments.
- Work with management team to ensure that all display, catering and café service and culinary set up meet specific account standards.
- Make sure all kitchen waste is disposed of properly in the most sustainable manner as supported by the client and directed by Google Executive Chefs (EC)
Financial Management and Analysis
- Represent the company in a courteous, efficient, and professional manner in all customer, client and employee interactions.
- Respond to all comments and complaints within 24 hours and follows up with a written response to the Google Executive Chef and Bon Appetit General Manager.
- Interact with customers and resolves customer complaints in a friendly and service oriented manner.
- Communicate with the Client honestly, accurately and in a timely manner. All communication including e-mail is written in a professional and organized manner
- Analyze weekly participation, making recommendations if a there is a noticeable change that may affect Google food budget or service levels.
- Maintain and monitor café payroll in conjunction with business forecasts and the budget.
- Ensure that food cost meets budgetary goals each week.
- Ensure that overall café meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversee the daily appearance and upkeep of the Caféas directed by Google
- Supervise the proper garnishing and presentation of food.
- Adhere to Bon Appétit’s/Google's standards of fresh and creative decor, as specified in Great Expectations.
- Ensure that overall café meets the standards as presented in Great Expectations, as well as oversee the daily appearance of the entire Café
- Edit the daily signage for proper spelling and descriptions.
- Work with Chef de Cuisine to plan seasonal, holiday specials and offerings, plan and review marketing, signage and display of items with Google EC and BA Manager.
- Utilize Google based informational systems, including blogs and MOMA menu.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work with or Chef de Cuisine to plan seasonal tastings of new menu items and solicit feedback from guests.
Education: Culinary or college degree preferred
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- Has a minimum of 3 years applicable experience in a like volume and quality food service establishment and 1 year of supervisory experience
- Has computer skills with a working knowledge of Microsoft Office and Excel.
- Possesses general hospitality knowledge and interest in sustainability and sustainable food practices
- Has the ability to operate Web based ordering systems, process customer requests, changes to orders, menu updates and client profiles.
- Proficient with word processing and spread sheet applications.
- Posses the ability to meet Bon Appétit / Google unit specific uniform standards for this position.
- Utilize all Personal Protective Equipment’s per Bon Appétit/Google guidelines.
- Wear a cut resistant glove whenever using a sharp or potentially sharp tool or instrument.
PROGRESSION GOALS :
- ServSafe Certification
- Online Sexual Harassment Training
- Culinary Certificate or Degree Preferred
SOUS CHEF to CHEF de CUISINE
- In addition to the qualifications required for the SOUS CHEF position:
- Continue development of culinary skills and menu development
- Fully grasp budget requirements, run kitchen within allotted funds
- Understand and run all aspects of the kitchen
- Work with client to develop new themes and ideas
- Successful completion of Chef de Cuisine Development Plan
Bon Appetit Mgmt Co - 15 months ago