Renaissance Palm Springs is a beautiful destination resorts with 410 spacious guest rooms, 155 one and two bedroom suites. DATE Restaurant offers casual dining Modern American and Contemporary California Cuisine (B, L, D) ROCKS Lounge & Bar, featuring a wide array of specialty drinks and cocktails, appetizers, lunch menu and patio service. Poolside dining service. 15 meeting rooms with nearly 30,000 square feet of meeting space, 12,571 square foot Grand Ballroom, divisible into five sections accommodates up to 1,500 for banquets. 24,000 sq. ft. Courtyard with seating capacity with seating capacity for 2,500.
Reports To: Executive Chef
To oversee every function of the kitchen in the absence of the Executive Chef to include purchasing,
production, presentation and quality of food; hiring, training and development of employees; producing
the highest quality food standards using excellent culinary skills.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Know all emergency procedures (fire, severe weather, bomb threats, guest accident/illness, etc.)
2. Assist in training and supervising all associates in the kitchen to perform their job duties to the
best of their abilities. Provide employees with the tools and equipment they need to do their jobs.
3. Assist in scheduling, evaluating and directing all personnel.
4. Keep open verbal and written communication between the management and associates.
5. Assist in writing and presenting disciplinary action as needed.
6. Assist in taking immediate action on problems that are encountered in the kitchen.
7. Participate in staff and department meetings and the property M.O.D. Program.
8. Ensure all food served is of high quality, properly prepared according to recipe and is expedited to
all outlets in a smooth and efficient manner. Includes working the line during peak times.
9. Assist in the establishment of goals, standards and objectives that will further the prestige and
reputation of the organization, as well as result in a more profitable operation.
10. Supervise entire kitchen staff, including the employee cafeteria as well as all utility and sanitation
employees; provide supervisory guidance, aid and counsel for all kitchen associates.
11. Maintain all use records, roast meat charts, recipe cards, etc., at all times.
12. Prepare recipe cards and picture presentation of all menu items.
13. Assist in ensuring payroll hours are submitted to the Accounting Department on a timely basis.
14. Be knowledgeable of all areas, including front line, banquet productions and plating.
15. Ensure that sufficient supplies of necessary service equipment are available and maintained at all
16. Ensure employee cafeteria is maintained in a sanitary condition at all times.
17. Ensure proper staffing of the entire kitchen for adequate coverage while controlling labor costs.
18. Physically taste each steamed item, soup, sauce, salad dressing, vegetable, etc., to ensure maximum
quality and consistency. This must be done for all meal periods.
19. Ensure that adequate preparation is done for all meal periods while avoiding waste.
20. Ensure that approved recipes are followed at all times without deviation.
21. Ensure that standards pertaining to storage, rotation, production, portions, quality and
appearance are followed at all times.
22. Ensure that all banquets are properly prepared and serviced; timing, proportioning and quality
are most important. Ensure that proper communication takes place between banquets and the
23. Communicate any problem area with recommended alternatives to the Executive Chef and the
Food and Beverage Director for discussion and possible solution.
24. Communicate expectations daily with Sous Chefs and Executive Chef to ensure smooth
25. Ensure sanitation standards are maintained in all areas (i.e., walk-ins, freezers, kitchen property
26. Ensure that prescribed cleaning schedules are followed at all times.
27. Assist in the responsibility for the review and accomplishment of cost goals in the area of food
cost, kitchen labor and related expenses.
28. Promote a positive associate relations climate by following and adhering to Human Resource
policies and procedures; timely reviews, recruitment as needed, disciplinary action and
1. Assist other management company properties as needed.
2. Assist other departments as needed.
3. Assist with the organization of annual employee picnic and/or Christmas party.
Job Knowledge, Skills and other Requirements:
1. Able to communicate accurately and effectively in verbal and written form with guests and
associates so as to respond accurately and completely to people to give directions, instructions,
information, answer questions and provide service as required.
2. Memorize food recipes and food preparation instructions.
3. Twist, stretch, bend, lift to handle and operate all kitchen equipment.
4. Use arithmetic to calculate costs and prices, track expenses and analyze payroll.
5. Lift and carry heavy objects weighting approximately thirty (30) to forty (40) pounds.
6. Stand or walk for varying lengths of time, sometimes for long periods.
7. Easily and quickly prepare food and operate equipment.