POSITION: Sous Chef
DEPARTMENT: Food & Beverage
REPORTS TO: Executive Chef
FLSA STATUS: Salaried/Exempt
This is a hands-on production position with unlimited creative outlets assisting the Executive Chef in daily operations of the culinary department. Responsible for operating under budget and maintaining standards of food quality, food cost, labor cost, sanitation and employee morale as specified by Executive Chef. Directly supervises line level employees to include Line Cooks and Prep Cooks.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Produce daily prep and production lists in accordance with banquet event orders and retail production sheets
- Direct and mentor culinary employees with the goal of raising levels of education, morale, productivity and sanitation.
- Translate the philosophy of the Executive Chef through leading by example with high standards in food quality, organization, and professionalism.
- Maintain and enforce safe and sanitary working conditions within the culinary department through proper education of equipment, hazardous material and health codes.
- Assists with ordering of perishable food and non-food supplies and receiving of deliveries.
- Control waste through proper calculation of ordering and production.
- Assist in the creation, documentation and costing of new recipes.
- Maintain a visionary approach to the culinary department, always looking to improve our standards and raise the level of expectation.
- Responsible for all culinary operations in the absence of the Executive Sous Chef or Executive Chef.
- Oversee Stewarding department in the absence of Executive Steward.
- Supervise the check-in and check-out of all temporary labor in culinary department.
- Responsible for training culinary employees in proper clock-in and out procedures.
- Assist in conducting monthly inventories and updating inventory products as needed.
- Responsible for daily production of hot and cold foods.
- Supervise the Culinary staff in a manner consistent with SMG Human Resource Policies and Procedures.
- Assure the safety of the work environment and report any potential hazards to the Executive Chef, Food & Beverage Director or Human Resources.
- Document all work-related injuries and illnesses by completing a First Report of Injury form and submit to Human Resources immediately.
- Responsible for controlling food and labor costs.
- Responsible for daily security and lock down of kitchen area.
EDUCATION AND WORK EXPERIENCE
- Knowledge of all major kitchen equipment and appliances.
- Ability to properly operate ovens, stoves, grills, steamers, smoker, mixers, kettles, char-broiler and other kitchen equipment.
- Must be able to identify and properly use all kitchen small wares.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
- Strong knowledge of state health codes and sanitation standards.
- Ability to adhere to strict grooming standards established by SMG/TD Convention Center.
- Ability to recognize and utilize weights and measurements, both liquid and dry.
- Knowledge of basic accounting and cost control principles.
- Ability to supervise, train and manage.
- Knowledge of purchasing related to food items and small wares.
- Knowledge and skills in diverse culinary techniques including multi-ethnic cuisine, displays, garde manger, sauces, protein cutting, plate presentation and sanitation.
- Skill in volume production and hands-on cooking.
- Ability to perform basic math functions necessary to execute recipes.
- Ability to use a PC. Competency in Excel and Outlook.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to execute large functions.
- Ability to work extended hours productively.
- Two-year degree in Culinary field or appropriate continuing education experience and relevant work experience.
- Minimum of one (1) year experience as a Sous Chef.
- Minimum of three (3) years experience in a kitchen environment.
- Minimum of one (1) year in a supervisory role.
- Minimum of one (1) year of experience in banquet operations.
- Occasional sitting, focusing on and operating a personal computer several times a day.
- Ability to access information in print and on computer/terminal monitor, and the ability to follow recipes and find correct ingredients.
- Need to be able to communicate with others in a noisy environment and to understand warning signals and other notifications such alarms, bells, and horns. Performing work through repetitive eye/hand coordination.
- Daily lifting up to 50 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time. Daily carrying up to 35 lbs. up to 5 minutes at a time.
- Constant standing, walking, stooping. Constant reaching, handling products.
HOURS OF WORK AND TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS
- Fast-paced, very physical environment.
- May be exposed to extreme cold from walk-in coolers/freezers for up to one hour at a time.
- May be exposed to extreme heat from hot burners and/or steam for extended periods of time.
- May be exposed to minimal amount of smoke for extended periods of time.
- Requires standing for several hours at a time each day.
- Minimum of 40 hours per week.
- Irregular hours including early mornings, late evenings, weekends and holidays as determined by event schedule.
- Extended hours may be required, as determined by event schedule.
- Limited travel to trade shows or conferences.
If you meet the minimum qualifications listed above and are interested in this position, please apply in one of the following ways – Resumes must include salary requirements for consideration:
EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org – resumes in Word document or PDF format only.
In Person at:
TD Convention Center
Hall 1 Lobby Receptionist
One Exposition Drive
Greenville, South Carolina 29607
No Phone Calls Please
SMG is an Equal Opportunity Employer W/M/V/D
SMG World - 20 months ago
- 20 days ago
Senior Living/Maxwell Group
Senior Living/Maxwell Group
- 5 days ago
- 1 day ago