As the first municipal consumer protection agency in the country, the New York City Department of Consumer Affairs (DCA) has ensured that businesses and consumers benefit from a fair and vibrant marketplace for over 40 years. Today, DCA regulates 55 industries and licenses and inspects almost 80,000 businesses throughout the five boroughs. The Department enforces the City’s landmark Consumer Protection Law and related City and State laws; mediates thousands of consumer complaints; and prosecutes law-breaking businesses through our Administrative Tribunal.
DCA is committed to educating, empowering and protecting consumers; holding businesses to high standards of marketplace behavior; and achieving excellence in the delivery of innovative agency programs and services. As a small agency with a big mission, every staff member at DCA plays a critical role in ensuring success.
The Office of the Deputy Commissioner/Chief of Staff is seeking a resourceful, self directed and results oriented go-getter to serve in the role of the Special Assistant. Working with the Deputy Commissioner/Chief of Staff and senior staff, the Special Assistant will be responsible for supporting the work of a diverse portfolio of divisions, units and programs, including: the State-funded Tobacco Enforcement Program, Policy Unit, Analysis & Planning Division, Fiscal Services Division, Human Resources Division, Project Management Division and General Services Division.
• Provide support to the Deputy Commissioner/Chief of Staff and senior staff on current projects and initiatives;
• Monitor and report on strategic goals and special initiatives;
• Assist with meeting preparation for external and internal meetings and briefings;
• Attend meetings with the Deputy Commissioner/Chief of Staff; identify action steps for follow up and assist staff in post meeting debriefings and follow up;
• Analyze internal procedures and operations and provide recommendations to increase efficiency and compliance;
• Perform special projects as needed;
• Assist with administrative tasks and confidential matters.
Minimum Qual Requirements
1. A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college and two years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties described above; or
2. High school graduation or equivalent and six years of experience in community work or community centered activities in an area related to the duties as described above; or
3. Education and/or experience which is equivalent to "1" or "2" above. However, all candidates must have at least one year of experience as described in "1" above.
• Excellent research, writing, analytical and critical thinking skills;
• Highly organized and detail oriented with the ability to successfully manage multiple projects and competing priorities;
• Ability to collect, synthesize and leverage data to make informed decisions and persuasive arguments;
• Ability to work in a fast paced environment with quick turnaround expectations;
• Ability to communicate with staff at all levels of the organization.
Click 'Apply Now' Button.
A RESUME AND COVER LETTER ARE REQUIRED.
INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED.
NO PHONE CALLS, FAXES, E-MAILS OR PERSONAL INQUIRIES PERMITTED.
NOTE: ONLY THOSE CANDIDATES UNDER CONSIDERATION WILL BE CONTACTED.
35 Hours (Minimum)
42 Broadway, New York, NY
New York City residency is generally required within 90 days of appointment. However, City Employees in certain titles who have worked for the City for 2 continuous years may also be eligible to reside in Nassau, Suffolk, Putnam, Westchester, Rockland, or Orange County. To determine if the residency requirement applies to you, please discuss with the agency representative at the time of interview.
NYC Careers - 16 months ago
SOCAPS is a craftsmen cooperative that provides industrial customers (machinery builders, wholesalers, or end-users) in several industries -...