Inwood Academy for Leadership Charter School, a middle and high school that is expanding by one grade each year, seeks Special Education teachers for a self-contained classroom or Collaborative Team Teaching classroom. Ideal candidates have at least three years of experience, have demonstrated success with a broad range of students, and are looking to be a collaborative member of a highly professionalized learning community.
All faculty must be willing to commit to our mission:
Inwood Academy for Leadership Charter School will empower students in Inwood and Washington Heights to become agents for change through community focused leadership, character development and college preparedness. Our teachers will regard our student leaders as burgeoning assets to their community and help them develop the tools they need to be successful in college and beyond.
Work with teachers and staff to provide the best possible support for students with special needs.
- Experience providing coaching and/or professional development to teachers with respect to SPED/Literacy matters
- Will effectively transition SPED students at all levels of the SPED continuum
- Support classroom teaching and work within content-areas
- Work with School Leader to plan intervention services for students
- Generate reports and graphs about formal student assessments and progress
- Write summary reports on student progress yearly or as needed
- Serve as a resource to promote parental support of student goals.
- Collaborate with teachers in long and short term planning that addresses the students’ individual goals
- Create long and short term goals for students based on teacher observation and assessment data
- Participate in weekly meetings to create and modify prevention and intervention services to at-risk students
- Research and share information about best practices in Special Education and Literacy
- Provide feedback to parents
- Create materials for differentiated instruction
- Commitment to the mission and vision of IALCS
- A belief that all students can achieve at high levels
- Superior communication skills
- An ability to work collaboratively
- At least one year of full-time teaching experience in a Title 1 school in the United States (cannot include student, substitute or summer school teaching)
- A valid NYS credential in Special Education