We are looking for a highly dedicated Special Education teacher who will bring a “whatever it takes” attitude to helping children succeed. This position is available immediately. KIPP DC teachers are responsible for delivering effective, high-quality, rigorous instruction in their content areas, producing unmatched academic results and student growth. KIPP DC gives its students an intensive foundation in the core academic subjects with an emphasis on developing the knowledge and skills necessary for success in school and in life. The KIPP DC community holds itself to high standards, cognizant that success can be achieved by all, regardless of challenging circumstances, through team work, tenacity and focused dedication.
KIPP DC teachers are on duty in school Monday through Friday from 7:30 am to 5:30 pm, with most arriving before and staying after these hours. Many KIPP DC teachers take on additional roles within the school, including working as Saturday School Coordinators and Grade Level Chairs. Though they face demanding schedules, all KIPP DC teachers are strongly supported by experienced and dedicated leadership and staff. KIPP DC students have an extended school day, Saturday School, and a mandatory summer session. This extra time allows KIPP DC to develop innovative and highly effective instruction for all of our students. In addition, our students’ first lesson is learning the year they will go to college, and each classroom is named after the college or university of its homeroom teacher.
· Believe deeply in the mission and values of KIPP and subscribe to KIPP's Five Pillars
· Commit to constant professional growth
· Implement the school-wide student management policies within classrooms and everywhere on campus
· Exhibit positive rapport with students
· Create and foster a positive learning environment
· Establish and maintain strong communication lines with all parents
· Mentor a Capital Teaching Resident (CTR), if assigned to your classroom, by modeling excellent teaching, gradually releasing classroom teaching responsibilities, and implementing weekly coaching/feedback conversations
· Give informal and formal assessments, weekly, monthly, and quarterly. Participate in and initiate data conversations to use data to drive instruction
· Assist in development of curriculum standards and mapping
· Maintain a neat, clean classroom environment and a professional personal appearance
· Attend all staff meetings
· Create and teach challenging and engaging lesson linked to state standards
· Perform morning, lunch, and afternoon duties as assigned
· Perform clerical duties, as required, relating to textbooks, instructional supplies, student reports and records, attendance reports, etc.
· Volunteer at Saturday School as required by the individual school
· Possess zest, grit, hope, joy, flexibility, social intelligence, gratitude, and a sense of humor
· Remain on call in the evenings (via school cell phone) to provide student support
· Pass a criminal background check, as required by law
· Additional responsibilities may arise during the school year. This could include but not limited to: attending staff and student field trips, overnight trips, open houses, parent-teacher conferences, home visits, and other events involving parents and students as needed. They will be communicated to all employees with as much notice and flexibility as possible.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS:
KIPP DC offers an extremely competitive compensation and benefits package:
· Salaries for teachers are competitive with added compensation for KIPP DC’s extended day and year, along with additional bonuses.
· KIPP DC offers its employees 100% employer-paid medical, dental, life and long-term disability insurance.
· KIPP DC also offers its employees a 403(b) retirement account with employer contributions and matches vesting after 3 years.
· Teachers are also supported with a robust professional development plan, KIPP DC-paid cell phone for student/parent calls, and a laptop computer for lesson planning and work.
· At least two years of teaching experience in a public school (Preferred)
· Bachelors degree (Required)
· Bachelors degree in content area (Preferred)
· Experience/strength in content area (Preferred)
· Commitment to working with underserved students (Required)
· Experience teaching in a predominantly African-American environment (Preferred)
· Meet all state and federal guidelines in order to be “Highly Qualified” (Required)
HOW TO APPLY:
Please apply immediately, as this position is available immediately. Applications and resumes are reviewed on a daily basis. All interested applicants should visit online at http://www.kippdc.org/careers/apply-now/ , and click “Lead Teacher” job posting located under “Instructional Positions.” If you have any questions, please contact us via email at email@example.com .
For more information about KIPP DC schools, please visit our website at http://www.kippdc.org /.