Connections Education is a leading, fully-accredited provider of high-quality, highly accountable virtual education solutions for students in grades K–12. Connections Education is committed to expanding quality education through technology and helping students achieve both academic and personal success.
Since 2001, the company’s Connections Academy division has delivered individualized learning to students through virtual public schools and a private online academy. In the 2012-13 school year, 24 Connections Academy virtual public schools will operate in 22 states and expect to serve more than 45,000 students in grades K-12 (some schools do not serve all grades) from across the U.S.
Oregon Connections Academy (ORCA) is a tuition-free, online public school serving students in grades K–12 throughout the state. Authorized under state law by the Scio School District 95C, the school is operated by Oregon Connections Academy, a nonprofit corporation, through a contract with Connections Academy of Oregon, LLC, to provide its educational program and other services. ORCA has been in operation since 2005. Connections Academy is a division of Connections Education, which is accredited by AdvancED.
Position Summary and Responsibilities
Working from your home in one of the Oregon hub locations, the Special Education Teacher will “virtually” manage instructional programs for students with special needs. Through use of the telephone, Internet and various curriculum tools they will consult regularly with learning coaches and students to ensure that each child successfully completes his/her instructional program. The Special Education Teacher will participate in all steps of the IEP process. They will work closely with other teachers and district professionals to ensure that the school’s special education program is successful and operating in compliance with federal and state regulations. The Special Education Teacher will utilize technology to deliver virtual instruction.
The Special Education Teacher will be responsible for the successful completion of the following tasks:
· Manage and provide instructional guidance, virtual teaching and general strategies for a caseload of students;
· Develop, write and help implement IEPs and 504 plans;
· Evaluate tests and assessments, complete report cards and conduct parent conferences;
· Communicate regularly with parents/learning coaches of students with special needs to insure that their IEP goals are being met, and that their needs are addressed in a timely and appropriate fashion;
· Consult with teachers and coordinate the implementation of specially designed instruction as defined in the IEP regarding students with specific needs and potential learning issues;
· Provide direct services to students including services delivered through web-conferencing software, as needed;
· Schedule, organize and conduct IEP related meetings in a virtual environment, as needed;
· Participate in the school’s Student Support Team; help teachers and learning coaches develop and implement program modifications and strategies for all students;
· Assist, as needed, with the organization and proper implementation of all paperwork, documentation and procedures for the IEP process;
· Assist with locating service providers for students needing related services as mandated by their IEPs;
· Assist with negotiating and executing contracts with service providers for students requiring such services;
· Maintain accurate and up-to-date data in the school’s Learning Management System and special education software;
· Assist with administering state testing and coordinate the special adaptations that are required based on the IEP;
· Other duties as assigned.
· Degree in Special Education or related Education Field
· Valid Special Education credential in Oregon
· Experience in policy (IDEA) and/or administration with Special Education
· Strong technology skills (especially with Microsoft Office products)
· Excellent communication skills, both oral and written
· Customer focused approach
· High degree of flexibility
· Demonstrated ability to work well in fast paced environment
· Team player track record
· Willingness to travel on occasion for marketing and state testing events (may require occasional overnight travel)
Connections Academy - 11 months ago
copy to clipboard