Application Review Date
The First Review Date for this job is: March 20, 2012
The Haas School of Business is the second oldest business school in the United States and one of the largest professional schools on the UC Berkeley campus, comprised of 85 ladder-track faculty and approximately 135 professional or visiting faculty, employing more than 250 staff and serving over 2,200 students. The School offers six degree programs – an upper division major, three MBA programs targeted to differing student populations, Masters in Financial Engineering and the Ph.D. in Business Administration. Additionally, the School operates a non-degree program for business executives, and several departments & centers.
The Haas School's Development & Alumni Relations office is recruiting a Special Events Coordinator to be responsible for planning, organizing, and managing a wide variety of special events hosted & requested by the DAR (Development & Alumni Relations) office. The complex events are partially or wholly sponsored by the School and are intended to attract either a large public audience &/or special constituencies of importance to the School. This position plays a central role in coordinating comprehensive fundraising & campaign events.
Scope of events include, but are not limited to receptions, dinners, conferences, seminars, meetings, lectures and social networking events.
Consults with colleagues within the Development and Alumni Relations (DAR) department on all details regarding events and event planning. In collaboration with the DAR staff member managing the event, the Special Events Coordinator will:
Develops and implements event budgets based on historical data. Tracks expenses in internal master budget format for events and other expenses in the alumni relations unit. Prepares all campus financial forms and supporting documentation.
- plan, research and identify the appropriate venue and negotiate a contract to secure reservation. Venues include, but not limited to, the Berkeley-Haas campus or other private and public universities, plus off-site venues such as hotels, private clubs, museums, wineries, corporate facilities and private homes.
- identify, manage and direct all vendors such as caterer, florist, photographer, audio visual technicians, valet parking, building security, custodial and all other specific services required. Maintain effective and ongoing relationships with vendors and other campus departments.
- provide support to all event speakers, VIPs, and campus officials as directed.
- provide on-site management at events, as directed, to ensure that all arrangements are executed as planned within the timeline and budget constraints of the event. Mitigate and troubleshoot any unforeseen problems or challenges making decisions in a professional manner.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Bachelor's degree in related area preferred, and/or four years of equivalent experience/training
Salary & Benefits
- Thorough knowledge and understanding of concepts, principles and practices of event planning and public relations, including event design, organization and production.
- Knowledge of the campus, its vision, mission, programs, policies, achievements and infrastructure,a plus.
- Experience managing and tracking event budgets in detailed Excel spreadsheet for internal use.
- Experience and knowledge of basic accounting procedures to complete payments and process supporting documentation for events that is compliant with the campus business practices and policies.
- Demonstrated organizational and project management skills to work successfully with clients to produce high quality events that meet client needs and appropriately represent the campus and the Haas School of Business for fundraising and alumni events.
- Highly developed interpersonal communication skills including political acumen and social perceptiveness.
- Experience and ability to work well in a collaborative role with the assigned work leader, as well as being an integral part of the DAR team involved in the production and execution of events.
- Highly developed judgment, decision-making and problem recognition/avoidance/resolution skills, including skill in determining those issues/problems that need to be brought to management's attention.
- Must be detailed oriented, able to handle multiple event coordination, and adhere to strict deadlines, in a fast-paced environment.
- Available for evening/weekend activities with limited (one month) advance notice
- Flex work schedule permitted with supervisor approval.
The salary for this position will range between $42,000 annually up to $54,288 annually plus benefits.
For information on the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University visit:
How to Apply
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
This is a fulltime career position which has been classified by the university as an Events Specialist 3.
Criminal Background Check
This position has been designated as sensitive and may require a Criminal Background Check. We reserve the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of a Criminal Background Check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California, Berkeley is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
University of California Berkeley - 21 months ago