About the National Multiple Sclerosis Society
Founded in 1946, The National Multiple Sclerosis Society ( www.nationalmssociety.org ) is a collective of passionate individuals who want to bring about a world free of multiple sclerosis. Through its dynamic nationwide chapter network, the Society funds research, furthers education, and provides services and programs to its 750,000 general members, including 400,000 people who live with multiple sclerosis.
The Society has chapters in fourty six locations across the nation. Approximately 1200 employees and 500,000 volunteers support the Society’s work annually. Approximately 75% of the Society’s annual expenditures go towards research, services and programs for people with MS and their families, support and education for health care professionals, and federal, state and local advocacy efforts.
This position provides logistical and administrative support on the Walk MS and Bike MS events in the Fargo, North Dakota market.
1. Provide logistic support for the North Dakota Walk MS and Bike MS events. (90%)
2. Volunteer Engagement ( 5%)
- Obtain in-kind donations
- Bid out services to vendors to obtain the best price
- Secure entertainment and other event logistics
- Recruit and train volunteers in the local market to help support day of event activites
- Serve as the liaison between the local event committes and the chapter office
- Help distribute marketing materials and develop a tracking system for where materials are placed
- Attend the day-of Walk MS and Ride the Wind and help with on-site logisitics
- Help secure Bike MS route logistics, including start/finish sites, rest stops etc…
- Serve as the liaison to local bike shops
3. Other duties as apparent or assigned (5%)
- We increase the number of Society volunteers, recognizing and recruiting talent
- We engage volunteers, effectively communicating and facilitating meaningful opportunities across all functions.
- We partner with volunteers to accomplish our work.
- We cultivate volunteers, seeking and providing feedback and sharing opportunities for reciprocal growth and learning. We recognize the contributions of all volunteers.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings as needed.
- Communicates duties and responsibilities to the appropriate staff to effectively manage progress to ensure success.
- Assist with other areas as needed.
- Serves as a good steward of all chapter resources – time, money, equipment and materials.
- High School Diploma
- 1-2 years’ of related experience
- Strong organizational skills
- Ability to work independently and manage tasks to completion without direct supervision
- Effective verbal and interpersonal communication skills
Position requires competencies in the following areas:
- Must be proficient with standard office software (e.g. MS Outlook, Word and Excel)
Managing Relationships, Being Open and Receptive, Communication, Getting Work Done through Others, Getting Organized, Managing Work Processes, Overcoming Obstacles, Inspiring Others, People Management, and Learning.
The National Multiple Sclerosis Society funds research intended to find the cause and cure of MS. For people affected by the disease, it...