Work at MEMIC
Job Location - Augusta/Waterville, ME
The Special Investigator performs activity checks, investigates claims to verify disability, and ability to work, and investigates cases of possible abuse or fraud involving employees, employers, agents, brokers, medical providers and attorneys.
- Conducts activity checks and surveillance on claims to verify continuing disability and inability to work.
- Investigates cases of possible abuse and fraud.
- Communicates with insured’s, injured workers, agents, brokers, witnesses, attorneys,
- Loss Control and Underwriting, general public and various regulatory agencies, state and federal when necessary to conduct and complete the investigation.
- Works with claims staff and defense counsel on litigated cases and attends mediation, arbitration or hearings to give testimony.
- Works with claims staff to prepare cases involving fraud for presentation to the Abuse Unit of the Workers’ Compensation Board and the attorney general’s office or other appropriate agency.
- Keeps up to date on various state and federal laws as they pertain to assigned duties, to insure that all activities are conducted according to the law and to the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Completes investigative and surveillance reports, as well as investigative detail report on each case assigned and maintain copies.
Education and experience
Our ideal candidate will possess a bachelor degree with 2-3 years experience or equivalent experience in law enforcement. Ability to use various pieces of office equipment, such as dictation equipment, facsimile and computer as well as the ability to operate a video camera, digital communications and recording devices, television and Videocassette Recorder (VCR). This person must have valid Maine driver’s license, strong attention to detail, and the ability to handle demanding situations. Strong verbal and written communication skills are required.
How to apply
Apply by emailing resume to firstname.lastname@example.org . You can also reach us by calling 1-800-660-1306.