Care Initiatives Hospice – Waterloo is seeking a Spiritual Care / Bereavement Counselor to join our interdisciplinary team. This full-time position will arrange or provide counseling to meet the spiritual needs of patients/families/caregivers and bereavement services to survivors. The Waterloo Hospice office proudly served the following Iowa counties: Black Hawk, Benton, Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Delaware, Fayette, Franklin, Grundy, Hardin, Linn, Marshall, & Tama counties.
Qualified candidates will have Bachelor’s Degree in related area and knowledge of grief and bereavement theory and practice in counseling. View detailed qualifications below.
We are seeking a compassionate individual with flexibility in scheduling, a valid driver’s license, and proof of auto insurance. Apply online or email resume for consideration. Drug screen required.
EOE/AAP Veterans and Disabled
- Master of Divinity Degree from an accredited seminary; and ordination, if the particular religious group has the practice of ordination. If the religion does not practice ordination, but practices licensure, then licensure in lieu of ordination is acceptable; and endorsed and in good standing from the ecclesiastical governing body;
- Baccalaureate degree in psychology, sociology, counseling or other field related to pastoral care, grief services or counseling.
- Current Iowa driver’s license and automobile liability insurance
- Knowledge of grief and bereavement theory and practice in counseling
- Practice in counseling preferred. Chaplaincy credentials preferred.
- If not Master of Divinity degree, at least three years relevant and related experience.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive relationships with community clergy and spiritual care resources.
- Ability to coordinate services for patients/families/caregivers with community clergy/spiritual care resources.
- Ability to minister to person and families in crisis situations in a manner consistent with person and families’ beliefs and desires.
- Ability to effectively interact with individuals and groups.
- Ability to plan and conduct training and education programs.
- Ability to plan and organize.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment, ability to listen effectively, and understand written or oral instruction.
- Ability to travel to various locations to meet patients/families/caregivers.
Provides comprehensive assessment of the patient, family and caregiver’s spiritual needs.
Provides bereavement risk assessment of the patient/family/caregiver; provides comprehensive bereavement assessment of the family/caregiver. From the assessments, identifies family/caregiver bereavement needs.
Based on patient/family/caregiver needs, identifies appropriate spiritual and bereavement interventions and goals for patient care plan.
Participates as member of interdisciplinary team (IDT) in development of patient care plan.
Provides services to patient/family/caregiver in accordance with care plan.
Coordinates services of clergy and other members of religious organizations in the community; especially patient/family/caregiver personal spiritual counselors.
Provides education and training to community clergy and other members of religious organizations related to meeting spiritual care and bereavement needs of patient/family/caregiver.
Interventions and services may include, but not be limited to:
contacting local clergy to administer requested sacraments or administering the sacraments;
providing inspirational literature or music;
praying with patient/family/caregiver;
assisting with planning or conducting memorial or funeral services;
serving as spiritual and grief resource to IDT and community at large; and
other rituals for patient/family as appropriate.
Reassesses spiritual needs of patient/family/caregiver at least every 14 days and, updates care plan in coordination with IDT.
Full-time Benefits (30+ hours/week):
- Health Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Dental & Life Insurance
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Short & Long-Term Disability
- Accident Insurance
- Critical Illness Insurance
- Matching Retirement Plan (No Waiting Period To Receive Match)
- Vacation, Holiday, & Sick Pay (Vacation Awarded After 6 Months)
- Direct Deposit or Pay Card
- Generous Anniversary Bonus
- Birthday T-Shirt Program
- Online Training & Professional Development (Relias)