The Associated Press is seeking an experienced, aggressive Sports Reporter in Dallas.
The successful candidate will be expected to regularly break news and cover some of the premier sports beats in Texas, including the Dallas Cowboys, Texas Rangers, Dallas Mavericks, Dallas Stars and colleges including TCU, SMU and Baylor. We place a premium on being first with breaking news but also want strong game and event coverage, smart beat reporting, and a prime focus on source development.
The reporter is part of a wider AP team responsible for regional and national sports coverage, and will work across multiple formats. He/she works with the regional sports editor to set priorities and develop aggressive spot and enterprise reporting for the AP’s global newspaper, online and broadcast audience. The successful candidate, who will report to the regional sports editor in Chicago, must be able to:
Candidates should have demonstrated superior news judgment, with experience reporting and writing news for global audiences on multiple platforms. Superior writing ability, beat reporting skills and source development experience required. Candidate must understand the growing importance of multimedia news and be able to coordinate with AP staffers from other formats. Candidate must be a creative problem-solver who can work as a member of a team. Qualifications for the successful candidate include:
- Identify key sources and develop a beat that ensures AP is competitive on the most important sports stories in the territory.
- Identify and develop stories that break news and have impact.
- Report and write accurate, compelling stories on deadline in competitive situations.
- Work with his/her managers and colleagues to set priorities for a Texas sports report with multiple teams and sources.
- Organize and coordinate freelancers for sports coverage as needed in Texas.
- Work with staff photographers, videographers and other platform specialists to ensure complete and robust coverage of games and events.
Must be able to demonstrate a high level of fluency in written and spoken English. Authorization to work in the United States is mandatory.
- Bachelor's degree or equivalent experience.
- At least five years of professional sports writing experience in a daily news setting.
- At least five years of professional full-time reporting experience at a daily newspaper, broadcast station or AP or similar bureau.
- Experience with computer-assisted reporting, FOI and investigative techniques is a plus.
- A proficiency in multiple platforms, especially video, is a plus.
- Proven ability to recognize and develop newsworthy stories of broad interest and work accurately under deadline pressure.
- Strong organizational skills with experience juggling multiple projects across formats and meeting deadlines.
- Well-developed communications skills to work constructively with local and geographically dispersed staff, member editors and other AP departments.
- The ability to travel and work a variety of hours to meet the needs of a 24/7 news organization.
For consideration, submit your cover letter, resume and clips to: NationalNewsJobs@ap.org . Do provide the name of this position in the subject line of your email.
The Associated Press is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer.
To apply for this position, please email your resume and cover letter to:
JournalismNext.com - 22 months ago